Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Need Image (Object) to text compression???

Need Image (Object) to text compression???

Alex Zorin

Hey

I am in horrible need of a Image Object (or file) to text converter and compressor. My images and purely black and white, about 300width by 100 height, and well, frankly, quality does not matter.

I have looked for libs, but can't find any.

I have seen other people try crappy compression methods, but I'm needing a max 50 char end text result...

Any help?

Thanks

-- Alex

Alex Hunsley

Alex Zorin wrote:

> Hey
>
> I am in horrible need of a Image Object (or file) to text converter and
> compressor. My images and purely black and white, about 300width by 100
> height, and well, frankly, quality does not matter.
>
> I have looked for libs, but can't find any.
>
> I have seen other people try crappy compression methods, but I'm needing
> a max 50 char end text result...
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks

If you're not going to use compression, 50 chars (assuming 7 bit ascii) gives
you 350 bits, that is a black and white image of 35 by 10 pixels or somethign
similar.
You can't fit an awful lot in 50 chars.

What is 'crappy' about other peoples compression methods? why were they not useful?

Is this homework? What is the aimed use of this idea?

alex

Paul Lutus

Alex Zorin wrote:

> Hey
>
> I am in horrible need of a Image Object (or file) to text converter and
> compressor. My images and purely black and white, about 300width by 100
> height, and well, frankly, quality does not matter.

Then create a null file. Please say which level of quality is required.
"Quality does not matter" has no meaning.

> I have looked for libs, but can't find any.
>
> I have seen other people try crappy compression methods,

Provide the details.

> but I'm needing a
> max 50 char end text result...

So long as you realize that compression is not magic. Compression relies
entirely on exploiting repeating patterns in the original data. No
patterns, no compression.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Liz

"Paul Lutus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alex Zorin wrote:
>
> > Hey
> >
> > I am in horrible need of a Image Object (or file) to text converter and
> > compressor. My images and purely black and white, about 300width by 100
> > height, and well, frankly, quality does not matter.

I am confused by your conversion to 'text'? Images are numbers.