Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > modern replacement for <Applet> tag

modern replacement for <Applet> tag

ToeCutter

hi,

I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
whatever the best current tag is.

http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html
http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html

^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
opera, NN). Thanks in advance for any help

Paul Lutus

ToeCutter wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
> whatever the best current tag is.

Warning. Older browsers are not going to know how to handle anything but the
"deprecated" apple tag.

It is all fine and good to deprecate a tag, but as long as legacy browsers
remain in service, it is academic posturing, and no one should assume they
can stop using it.

At the very least, test your pages with all expected browsers.

> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
> opera, NN).

Surprise, surprise. The deprecated applet tag works with all of them.

You know, sometimes Sun relents and "un-deprecates" some things, the
original deprecation of which turned out to be a bad idea.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

zoopy

On 17-8-2004 7:13, ToeCutter wrote:
> hi,
>
> I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
> whatever the best current tag is.
>
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html
>
> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
> opera, NN). Thanks in advance for any help

This is the offical guide:

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html>

but unless you're required to create documents following the strict versions of HTML4 or XHTML
specs, I'd stick to the applet tag. And, as Paul pointed out, almost every browser supports it.

--
Regards,
Z.

Liz

"ToeCutter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> hi,
>
> I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
> whatever the best current tag is.
>
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html
>
> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
> opera, NN). Thanks in advance for any help

Who seyz it is depreciated?

Paul Lutus

Liz wrote:

> "ToeCutter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> hi,
>>
>> I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
>> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
>> whatever the best current tag is.
>>
>> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
>> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html
>> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html
>>
>> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
>> opera, NN). Thanks in advance for any help

> Who seyz it is depreciated?

It isn't, it is deprecated:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html

Depreciated: reduced in value.

Deprecated: disapproved, deplored.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Cid

>"ToeCutter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> hi,
>>
>> I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
>> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
>> whatever the best current tag is.
>>
>> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
>> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html
>> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html
>>
>> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
>> opera, NN). Thanks in advance for any help

Check out htmlconverter in your jdk bin folder. Converts <applet>
usage to equivilent <object> usage.

Liz

"Paul Lutus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Liz wrote:
>

> > "ToeCutter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> I've written a little Java applet, but now that <applet> has been
> >> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
> >> whatever the best current tag is.
> >>
> >> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
> >> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html
> >> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html
> >>
> >> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
> >> opera, NN). Thanks in advance for any help

> > Who seyz it is depreciated?

> It isn't, it is deprecated:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html
>
> Depreciated: reduced in value.
>
> Deprecated: disapproved, deplored.
>
> --
> Paul Lutus
> http://www.arachnoid.com

Reading that link, it seems that those folks first
depreciated it then deprecated it. (-_-)

Paul Lutus

Liz wrote:

> Reading that link, it seems that those folks first
> depreciated it then deprecated it. (-_-)

I concur. They did both.

But I think they are going to eat their deprecation.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Andrew Thompson

On 16 Aug 2004 22:13:38 -0700, ToeCutter wrote:

> I've written a little Java applet,

Nice. Note that if you attach a Listener
to the the RadioButton group, you could
trigger a recalculation without requiring
the user to click 'Ok'.

Why are you using Swing buttons?

>..but now that <applet> has been
> deprecated, I'd love to get some help to show me the ideal <object> or
> whatever the best current tag is.

No such beast has been found, you can butcher a
perfectly valid (3.2 or 4.01 transitional) HTML
applet tag with HTMLConverter, but it produces
invalid, JS (browser-sniffing) HTML that will
be unreadable and unmaintainable.

If you *want* to do that, you need to start with
a robust applet tag in HTML..

> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html
> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot2.html

...which both those applet tags are not. Each
lacks an 'alt' and 'alternate HTML'. Given
the applet uses Swing, a better alternative
for versioning might be the JavaVersionApplet.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp>

(and continue to use the applet
tag and 4.01 transitional HTML)

> http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot3.html

This one does not work at all, in IE 6 or Mox 1.3.

I notice it specifies a codebase, but not the code
archive. Is that your intent?

> ^^^ those are some experiments, but none cover all browsers (IE,
> opera, NN).

Nothing does, or will, cover all browsers,
you would have a hard time adequately supporting
Java in Lynx, the best you can hope for is
to give the user meaningful information on
why they do not get the applet, and possible
alternatives.

> Thanks in advance for any help

You're welcome.

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:19:18 -0400, Cid wrote:

> Check out htmlconverter in your jdk bin folder. Converts <applet>
> usage to equivilent <object> usage.

It produces invalid, unmaintainable HTML
though.. There are good reasons to stick with
HTML 4.01 Transitional and use applet tags.

--
Andrew Thompson