Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > PKWARE compression library

PKWARE compression library

kelvSYC

Are there any Java implementations of the PKWARE data compression
library?

--
I am only a mirage.

Hal Rosser

Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities to create 'jar'
files - which are compressed - but don't use the zip extension

"kelvSYC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:140820042038585570%(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Are there any Java implementations of the PKWARE data compression
> library?
>
> --
> I am only a mirage.

---

Frank

kelvSYC wrote:
> Are there any Java implementations of the PKWARE data compression
> library?

java.util.zip

Michael Borgwardt

Hal Rosser wrote:
> Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

It quite definitely doesn't.

Hal Rosser

hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...e-summary.html
Package java.util.jar
Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file format,
which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional manifest
file.

"Michael Borgwardt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hal Rosser wrote:
> > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

> It quite definitely doesn't.

---

Paul Lutus

Hal Rosser wrote:

>> > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

>> It quite definitely doesn't.

> hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...e-summary.html
> Package java.util.jar
> Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file
> format, which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional
> manifest file.

The prior objection seems to be that it is a ZIP utility, but it is not
PKWARE's ZIP utility, the original statememt.

Don't top post. Text above manually rearranged to make sense.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Liz

"Paul Lutus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> It quite definitely doesn't.

> > hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us

astray

> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...e-summary.html
> > Package java.util.jar
> > Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file
> > format, which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional
> > manifest file.

> The prior objection seems to be that it is a ZIP utility, but it is not
> PKWARE's ZIP utility, the original statememt.

If it was the original it wouldn't be Java !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Don't top post. Text above manually rearranged to make sense.
>
> --
> Paul Lutus
> http://www.arachnoid.com

Michael Borgwardt

"Hal Rosser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<YIQTc.6$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Michael Borgwardt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hal Rosser wrote:
> > > Look at the jar command - it uses pkware's zip utilities

> > It quite definitely doesn't.

> hmmm - you may be right - but if so, the API seems to be leading us astray

Not at all, you just have to read it carefully and not interpret
anything into
it that isn't actually there.

> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/...e-summary.html
> Package java.util.jar
> Provides classes for reading and writing the JAR (Java ARchive) file format,
> which is based on the standard ZIP file format with an optional manifest
> file.

It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
from pkware.

Hal Rosser

> anything into
> it that isn't actually there.
> It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
> an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
> in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
> from pkware.

Well, shux-darn - and I thought I was being helpful - thar eye go thanking
agin

---

David

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:38:28 -0400, "Hal Rosser"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> anything into
>> it that isn't actually there.
>> It only talks about the standard ZIP *file format* which, since it is
>> an open standard, can and is manipulated by code written in pure Java
>> in the java.util.zip package. No need at all to use the zip utilities
>> from pkware.

>Well, shux-darn - and I thought I was being helpful - thar eye go thanking
>agin

Wee ahpresheate ur heelp.

Unified Stream-based (De)Compression Library Nordl÷w C++ 1 10-15-2009 06:30 PM
PDF compression library K507 Java 2 03-09-2008 03:09 PM
Compression library roche.alexis@gmail.com Python 1 02-16-2007 10:07 PM
fast universal compression scheme and its implementation in VHDL Jens Mander VHDL 2 09-01-2005 10:08 PM
fast universal compression scheme and its implementation in VHDL Jens Mander VHDL 0 06-10-2005 06:28 AM

Advertisments