Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > good XML parser for J2ME

good XML parser for J2ME

hack_tick

hi there
i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
App opensource, the XML parser should be small and have very small memory
foot print

any suggestion ??

Andrew Thompson

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:46:26 +0530, hack_tick wrote:

> i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
> Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
> App opensource,

You want something for free, on which you
intend to charge money, but not make it
open-source or contribute anything back
in any way..

> ..any suggestion ??

Join us in the real world?

--
Andrew Thompson

Nikita Tovstoles

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:46:26 +0530, hack_tick wrote:
>

>>i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
>>Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
>>App opensource,

> You want something for free, on which you
> intend to charge money, but not make it
> open-source or contribute anything back
> in any way..

yeah, but aren't apache, bsd, mozilla, lgpl and, to an extent, gpl
licenses as written, actually anticipate scenarios such as above? after
all, IBM's is based on eclipse, red hat's "enterprise" linux isn't free
at all?

Would it not be allright, if a company were to offer solutions based on
freely available source code, but not provide their own? hopefully, if
money is made, the company will see it in its' interests to support free
software development by donating to open source projects and promoting
them. for example, if a company like eBay ran their service on Tomcat,
wouldn't that immediately make Tomcat and open source projects in
general, that much more viable for other corporations?

-nikita

>>..any suggestion ??

> Join us in the real world?

hack_tick

nano XML
http://nanoxml.sourceforge.net/orig/kvm.html

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> You want something for free, on which you
> intend to charge money, but not make it
> open-source or contribute anything back
> in any way..

Teh BSD license 4 U!

In general, many OSS licenses - apart from the GPL - does allow stuff
like that.

Nikita Tovstoles

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
> Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>You want something for free, on which you
>>intend to charge money, but not make it
>>open-source or contribute anything back
>>in any way..

> Teh BSD license 4 U!
>
> In general, many OSS licenses - apart from the GPL - does allow stuff
> like that.

But even with GPL, i think (i may be wrong here / mixing peaches and
oranges) one can, for example, create a web service that operates on
GPL-based software (like an App server), charge money for access to it,
and not have to reveal own proprietary server-side code to anyone?

-nikita

Andrew Thompson

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:07:28 GMT, Nikita Tovstoles wrote:
> Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
>> Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>>You want something for free, on which you
>>>intend to charge money, but not make it
>>>open-source or contribute anything back
>>>in any way..

>> Teh BSD license 4 U!
>>
>> In general, many OSS licenses - apart from the GPL - does allow stuff
>> like that.

> But even with GPL, i think (i may be wrong here / mixing peaches and
> oranges) one can, for example, create a web service that operates on
> GPL-based software (like an App server), charge money for access to it,
> and not have to reveal own proprietary server-side code to anyone?

OK ...OoK! I was wrong on that one!

(shrugs) I've been wrong before,
I'll be wrong again..

<EXCUSE CLASS='PATHETIC'>
I suppose it just strikes me as hypocritical..
</EXCUSE>

--
Andrew Thompson

Darryl L. Pierce

hack_tick wrote:

> nano XML
> http://nanoxml.sourceforge.net/orig/kvm.html

I use kXML.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

huy

hack_tick wrote:

> hi there
> i m looking for some free good XML parser which i can use in my J2ME
> Commercial Application without Licencing problem I m not planning to make my
> App opensource, the XML parser should be small and have very small memory
> foot print
>
> any suggestion ??

Just out of interest, what are you using xml in a J2ME app for ?

Configuration, Persistence, Communication, Other ?

Cheers,

Huy