Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Who invented Jemmy?

Reply
Thread Tools

Who invented Jemmy?

 
 
Phlip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
Java Engineers:

Jemmy is a GUI test rig for Swing?

Who invented Jemmy? I can't seem to google for this crumb of information.

And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bi...UserInterfaces


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steven J Sobol
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
Phlip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
> invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...


There is no *one* inventor of Swing. While Java is an open technology,
it was developed by a commercial entity (Sun) employing a team of developers.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (463 / http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
"Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
> invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...


Hard to say. JFC/Swing was based on IFC from Netscape; not sure if
there was a single person "founding" that.

The Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_(Java)

Note: Swing etc. are just examples of a concept called "light-weight
components", and it's perfectly possible to make your own framework if
you like.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
In article <cepptq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Java Engineers:
>
> And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
> invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...



A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
Lighthouse.

The following quote from the April 1997 SunWorld indicates that
engineers from Netscape and IBM were also involved in the creation of
Swing 1.0.

"Sun's work with Netscape will result in the Java Foundation Classes
(JFC) libraries that will significantly extend the graphical user
interface (GUI) side of the language. Called the "Swing Set" by Java
creator James Gosling, the JFCs are a fusion of JavaSoft's
oft-criticized Abstract Windowing Toolkit (AWT) with the more
full-featured IFCs. Sun says that engineers from its July acquisition of
Lighthouse Design, along with staff from Sun, Netscape, and IBM will
participate in the development of the JFCs at JavaSoft's Cupertino, CA
offices."

http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonli...4-javaone.html


Like all of the other OO Application Frameworks I am familliar with
(MacApp, MFC, PowerPlant), the initial version of Swing was created by a
group of engineers, not by a single engineer.

In fact, in the case of Swing, several companies were involved in the
creation, which is very unusual. Apple Computer Inc. developed MacApp,
Microsoft Corp. developed MFC, and Metrowerks developed PowerPlant.


For more on OO Frameworks, check out this page...
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/CACM-frameworks.html

--Dave

Java__Dave@NOSPAM_Hotmail.com

Remove NOSPAM_ to reply...
The 2 underscores in Java__Dave are required...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phlip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
Dave wrote:

> A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
> the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
> a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
> me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
> development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
> words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
> released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
> Lighthouse.


Thank you all for the inside information. But...

....this is amazing! It's almost as if I had entitled this thread "Who
invented Swing?"

If we all know it was obviously Kid Rock, can anyone 'fess up to inventing
Jemmy??

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bi...UserInterfaces


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Brehovsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
Phlip wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>
>>A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
>>the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
>>a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
>>me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
>>development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
>>words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
>>released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
>>Lighthouse.

>
>
> Thank you all for the inside information. But...
>
> ...this is amazing! It's almost as if I had entitled this thread "Who
> invented Swing?"
>
> If we all know it was obviously Kid Rock, can anyone 'fess up to inventing
> Jemmy??
>

AFAIK Jemmy was invented by Alexandre Iline (a Sun employee), who
created this framework to tests GUI of Sun's IDE based on NetBeans. It
was later opensourced and is currently hosted on netbeans.org.

B.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
* PRESS RELEASE * 100+ Years Advanced Video Game System Invented newstips6706@yahoo.com C Programming 0 09-30-2006 10:47 PM
OT: I invented the InterNeil PC LOAD LETTER MCSE 102 01-11-2006 01:51 PM
want to know who invented html? Nicole HTML 7 08-30-2005 10:55 PM
Who Invented the Digital Camera Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 71 08-10-2004 10:38 AM
FYI "Man Who Invented Ctrl+Alt+Delete Combination Retires" Boomer Computer Support 21 01-30-2004 01:08 AM



Advertisments