Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Program for Cell Phone

Java Program for Cell Phone

Kevin Mader

I have a project where I would like to use a nice cell phone equipped
with web access and a decent camera and write a program in Java? i
think thats what most cell phones use. Make a tone with the speaker.
To take a picture with the camera. Count the number of red pixels,
then email that picture and/or count to an email address. Is this
possible/ feasable for a moderately talented C++ programmer with some
but limited experience with java?

Steven J Sobol

Kevin Mader <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a project where I would like to use a nice cell phone equipped
> with web access and a decent camera and write a program in Java? i
> think thats what most cell phones use. Make a tone with the speaker.
> To take a picture with the camera. Count the number of red pixels,
> then email that picture and/or count to an email address. Is this
> possible/ feasable for a moderately talented C++ programmer with some
> but limited experience with java?

Java 2 Mobile Edition (J2ME) is what you'd be looking for.

J2ME's feature set is actually much more limited than that of Java2 Standard
or Enterprise editions, so it'll likely take much less time to learn, but
you really need a good grounding in basic Java concepts first. That having
been said, if you know C++, you shouldn't find Java difficult to learn at all.

Do note that you may not be able to do things that are specific to certain
phone models (like using the camera) easily, unless the phone manufacturer's
implementation of J2ME has specific extensions that allow for this. Also,
I am not sure about accessing files on the phone - that'd probably also fall
under the category "requiring manufacturer's extensions"...

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (463 / http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Roedy Green

On 26 Jul 2004 17:33:05 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Kevin Mader)
wrote or quoted :

>I have a project where I would like to use a nice cell phone equipped
>with web access and a decent camera and write a program in Java? i
>think thats what most cell phones use. Make a tone with the speaker.
>To take a picture with the camera. Count the number of red pixels,
>then email that picture and/or count to an email address. Is this
>possible/ feasable for a moderately talented C++ programmer with some
>but limited experience with java?

Yo would count the pixels in the server where you have more
computational ability and room to do it.

To get started see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/j2me.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.