Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Eclipse : edit code using drag & drop ?

Eclipse : edit code using drag & drop ?

patrick@yayoo.com

After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

Does anyone know if there's some way (maybe a plugin) to make
this possible ? (I've already googled on it, to no avail).

Bryce

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:40:14 +0200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
>happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
>to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop. Could
you explain?

If you mean editing GUI's with drag and drop, then I believe there are
plugins available.

Look around here:
http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/

or

http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/index.jsp

--
now with more cowbell

Liz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
> happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
> to edit source-code using drag & drop ...
>
> Does anyone know if there's some way (maybe a plugin) to make
> this possible ? (I've already googled on it, to no avail).

It is called cut/paste and it is just as fast.

patrick@yayoo.com

>>After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
>>happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
>>to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

> I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop.
> Could you explain?

I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
(or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

It would be much more efficient if I just could drag the selected code
rightaway to its new position with the mouse (or copy it by holding
the ctrl-key).

I really don't understand that this feature is not supported by Eclipse,
lot's of text-, java- and html- ditors DO have this feature, it's nothing
special.

Andrew Thompson

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:22:24 +0200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

'right click' 'cut|copy'

'left click destination' 'right click' 'paste'

HTH

BTW - I am curious. How do you get *new* code in the
editor without touching the keyboard? I suppose you
*could* always copy/paste it letter by letter.. or
keep a list of keywords open in another document..
(muttering, wanders off)

--
Andrew Thompson

patrick@yayoo.com

>> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
>> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

>'right click' 'cut|copy'
>
>'left click destination' 'right click' 'paste'

That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
as just selecting and then dragging it.

zoopy

On 23-7-2004 9:22, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
>>>happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
>>>to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

>>I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop.
>>Could you explain?

> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.
>
> It would be much more efficient if I just could drag the selected code
> rightaway to its new position with the mouse (or copy it by holding
> the ctrl-key).
>
> I really don't understand that this feature is not supported by Eclipse,
> lot's of text-, java- and html- ditors DO have this feature, it's nothing
> special.

In the outline view you can drag methods and fields, to reorder them, or drag them to another class
in the package explorer (copying or moving them). (Cut/copy/paste also works, of course)

In the package explorer you can drag files (i.e. Java classes or interfaces) from one package to
another (even to another project). All reference to those classes/interfaces will automatigically be
changed to the new package (wherever possible).

File a RFE/feature request at <https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/> if you require dragging code snippets
in the editor.

Regards,
Z.

Jim McMaster

At 7/23/2004 12:24:33 AM, Liz wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
> > happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the
> > ability to edit source-code using drag & drop ...
> >
> > Does anyone know if there's some way (maybe a plugin) to make
> > this possible ? (I've already googled on it, to no avail).

> It is called cut/paste and it is just as fast.

I respectfully disagree. I used drag/drop in JBuilder, and it is
better in some cases. In general,elect/left-click/drag/release is
faster than
select/right-click/left-click/left-click/right-click/left-click.

JBuilder is buggy and overall not as good as Eclipse, but this is one
feature I really miss.
--
Jim McMaster
(E-Mail Removed)

Bryce

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:21:23 +0200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
>>> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

>>'right click' 'cut|copy'
>>
>>'left click destination' 'right click' 'paste'

>That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
>as just selecting and then dragging it.

not to me. The less I have to touch my mouse the better. I love
bookmarks because I can set them, then use shortcut keys to go back to
them.

Delphi has a cool feature where (I think) ctr-alt arrow up/down would
take you to the next/previous method in a class... And I just checked
in Eclipse, and it does in fact do the same thing... learn something
new everyday.

--
now with more cowbell

Liz