Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Difference between .NET and Java

Difference between .NET and Java

Joe Shreanack

Hello,

I'm kind of new on the programming scene, and I'm curious as to what
platform I should use to write code.
As I understand, .NET takes code written in VB, V C++, C#, etc. and
compiles that code into a bytecode. Then, the bytecode is compiled
native windows code... Right?

It's possible to do this with a Java compiler, right? To compile java
bytecode into native code...

So my question is, what's the advantage to using .NET as opposed to
Java?

Michael N. Christoff

"Joe Shreanack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm kind of new on the programming scene, and I'm curious as to what
> platform I should use to write code.
> As I understand, .NET takes code written in VB, V C++, C#, etc. and
> compiles that code into a bytecode. Then, the bytecode is compiled
> native windows code... Right?
>
> It's possible to do this with a Java compiler, right? To compile java
> bytecode into native code...
>
> So my question is, what's the advantage to using .NET as opposed to
> Java?

Wouldn't this question be better posed in a .NET newsgroup? Or are you
asking what the advantages of Java are over .NET in .NET newsgroups?

l8r, Mike N. Christoff

Jean Charbonneau

"Joe Shreanack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm kind of new on the programming scene, and I'm curious as to what
> platform I should use to write code.
> As I understand, .NET takes code written in VB, V C++, C#, etc. and
> compiles that code into a bytecode. Then, the bytecode is compiled
> native windows code... Right?
>
> It's possible to do this with a Java compiler, right? To compile java
> bytecode into native code...
>
> So my question is, what's the advantage to using .NET as opposed to
> Java?

Java is multi-platform from the start and Microsoft used the idea for their
own product, so I would trust Java more.
Besides I really think Java is the greatest thing ( after women )

Jean

P.Hill

Joe Shreanack wrote:
> So my question is, what's the advantage to using .NET as opposed to
> Java?

There are no advantages

What did you expect? This is a java group afterall.

FYI, there is comp.lang.java.advocacy for discussing why Java or some particular
library/framework etc. is better/worse than something else.

-Paul

Roedy Green

On 7 Jul 2004 11:17:06 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Joe Shreanack)
wrote or quoted :

>It's possible to do this with a Java compiler, right? To compile java
>bytecode into native code...

Yes. There are many methods of running Java. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/compiler.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Jim Cochrane

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Joe Shreanack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm kind of new on the programming scene, and I'm curious as to what
> platform I should use to write code.
> As I understand, .NET takes code written in VB, V C++, C#, etc. and
> compiles that code into a bytecode. Then, the bytecode is compiled
> native windows code... Right?
>
> It's possible to do this with a Java compiler, right? To compile java
> bytecode into native code...
>
> So my question is, what's the advantage to using .NET as opposed to
> Java?

I'll assume you meant to ask:

What are the advantages and disadvantages to using .NET as opposed to
Java?

One advantage, as you implied is that you are not stuck with one language -
a multi-language solution is easier to provide than with a java
platform - you have the flexibility, for example, to use .net libraries
that were written in a different language from the one you are using.
From my POV, this is a theoretical advantage. It may also be an actual
advantage, but you'll need someone with extensive experience using .net to
say for sure.

One disadvantage is that MS has implemented .net such that it is not nearly
as portable as java. For example, you can't use MS's .net tools to compile
an executable that will run on Linux or Solaris in addition to Windows, while
you can do this with java. However, the Mono project may eventually solve
the portability problem, if MS lets it get that far.

On the other hand, if the web services protocol lives up to its potential,
the portability problem will be solved - you will be able to write web
applications that are implemented using both .net and j2ee, and other
environments as well.

Other things to look at are how the available toolsets for .net compare to
that of java - how well they support web development, OO programming, etc.
I can't answer that, since I haven't used .net, but perhaps someone else
can.

--
Jim Cochrane; (E-Mail Removed)
[When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to

Jeremy Deats'

Architecture wise the .NET byte codes gets transformed into a intermediate
language and cached as native code before execution. All most Java2
programming is J2ME specific, but I don't think the Java2 VM Sun provides
for Windows does, one of our Java2 programmers told me that IBM has a
Just-In-Time VM for Win32 that does do this, but it's commerical software
and cost $$$ to license. The result of this is that .NET apps run faster
than Java2 apps on Windows with the default Java2 VM provided by Sun.

Also, Microsoft intermediate language is opened for language developers to
build on (it's actually an Assembly Langauge that you can write in if you'd
like), so C#, VB.NET, COBOL.NET, J#, etc.. all are compiled into MIL
(Microsoft Intermediate Language) if you wanted to create Pearl.NET you
could.

The .NET VM (aka Common Language Runtime) was built primarly with the Win32
API in mind and is closely knit to the Windows platform.

Getting past this the .NET class libraries provide a bit more functionality
than the class libraries provided by Sun (not much, just a bit though). this
is most just utility items (e.g. in .NET if you want to convert from one
data type to another their's a static Convert class that works like a magic
box) there are things missing in .NET though (no Vector, but you can make
one pretty easy)

The primary advantage of .NET (comparing the C# language here to Java2) is
that .NET has Visual Studio.NET (so far I've seen no other IDE that can
match VS.NET, yes I've tried WebSphere, Eclipse, Borland, Sun One, they all
fall short in some areas). The other advantage is ASP.NET which has stolen
the best concepts of JSP, PHP, ColdFusion, and borrowed from classic ASP.
ASP.NET is killer for web apps. (Although the Sun One studio for web
development is good enough that I probably wouldn't switch to .NET just for
ASP.NET at this point)

Java's primary advantage is that you have your choice of third-party tools
(third-party IDE, third-party application server, third-party web server,
etc...) it doesn't bind you to a specific platform and it runs everywhere.

If you're doing Windows development use C# and .NET, if you're app has a
chance to benefit from running on some other platform use J2EE.

"Joe Shreanack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm kind of new on the programming scene, and I'm curious as to what
> platform I should use to write code.
> As I understand, .NET takes code written in VB, V C++, C#, etc. and
> compiles that code into a bytecode. Then, the bytecode is compiled
> native windows code... Right?
>
> It's possible to do this with a Java compiler, right? To compile java
> bytecode into native code...
>
> So my question is, what's the advantage to using .NET as opposed to
> Java?

Sudsy

Jeremy Deats' wrote:
> Architecture wise the .NET byte codes gets transformed into a intermediate
> language and cached as native code before execution. All most Java2
> programming is J2ME specific, but I don't think the Java2 VM Sun provides
> for Windows does, one of our Java2 programmers told me that IBM has a
> Just-In-Time VM for Win32 that does do this, but it's commerical software
> and cost $$$ to license. The result of this is that .NET apps run faster
> than Java2 apps on Windows with the default Java2 VM provided by Sun.

<snip>

So I guess I'll be the first (but certainly not only) person to
speak to this misconception. JIT has been incorporated into most
JVMs for years. This includes the one from Sun; you don't have to
purchase a commercial product to enjoy this advantage.
I'll leave it to others to expound further...

Carl Howells

Sudsy wrote:
> So I guess I'll be the first (but certainly not only) person to
> speak to this misconception. JIT has been incorporated into most
> JVMs for years. This includes the one from Sun; you don't have to
> purchase a commercial product to enjoy this advantage.
> I'll leave it to others to expound further...

His post was so full of errors about both java and c# that I recommend
that it not be corrected. It should just be ignored entirely.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:53:19 GMT, "Jeremy Deats'" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>Architecture wise the .NET byte codes gets transformed into a intermediate
>language and cached as native code before execution. All most Java2
>programming is J2ME specific, but I don't think the Java2 VM Sun provides
>for Windows does, one of our Java2 programmers told me that IBM has a
>Just-In-Time VM for Win32 that does do this, but it's commerical software
>and cost $$$ to license. The result of this is that .NET apps run faster
>than Java2 apps on Windows with the default Java2 VM provided by Sun.

You can also statically compile java. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/nativecompiler.html
Jet has a free personal version.

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

--