Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Logging APIs

Logging APIs

Robert Elliot

I'm familiar with Log4J, I've read about Java 1.4 Logging, used
Commons logging to sit on top of Log4J (and read an interesting
article arguing you should not use commons logging!), and also used
the Avalon logging API (which seems horrid to me).

Just wondering if there are a) any other logging APIs knocking around
and b) any essays comparing such APIs? (I've found and read a number
of comparisons between the 1.4 and Log4J APIs, I'm thinking of
comparisons with other ones if they exist.)

Reason for asking is that all I've played with/read about so far only
discuss 1.4 and Log4J and generally come down in favour of Log4J.
However, in an unrelated discussion on the Java Gaming forums someone
clearly pretty experienced made a throw-away comment about Log4J being
a very poor logging API. I didn't take him up on the statement at the
time and probably couldn't find the comment again now, but it's been
steadily gnawing away at the back of my mind and I'd be interested if
anyone shares that view, would like to explain it and could offer an
alternative API they prefer.

Currently I'm very happy with Log4J, but then I bet I'd have been
happy with raw meat had I been born before someone worked out it
tastes better after putting it on the fire for a bit...

iksrazal

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robert Elliot) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Just wondering if there are a) any other logging APIs knocking around
> and b) any essays comparing such APIs? (I've found and read a number
> of comparisons between the 1.4 and Log4J APIs, I'm thinking of
> comparisons with other ones if they exist.)

I have used protomattter for five years now, and I'm very happy with
it. Several times I've had log4j problems due to
classloader/singleton/multiple ear/ issues in Websphere app servers
and the like. Also, every open source projects has standardized on
log4j/commons, which can and does effect your logging criteria. Using
protomatter isolates me from all these issues. Basically I still use
log4j for all the third party dependencies, and use protomatter for my
stuff. For me that works really well.

There's a white paper on the protomatter site (sourceforge project)
that does do some log4j comparisons.

HTH

Outsource to an American programmer living in brazil!
http://www.braziloutsource.com/
iksrazal

Wei Jiang

Try SuperLogging at http://www.acelet.com/super/SuperLogging/index.html
It is not an API. It is a logging system: cooked meat.

Also, there are couple interesting articles:
http://www.acelet.com/whitepaper/Are...dyForJ2ee.html
http://www.acelet.com/whitepaper/log...ereabouts.html

(E-Mail Removed) (Robert Elliot) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I'm familiar with Log4J, I've read about Java 1.4 Logging, used
> Commons logging to sit on top of Log4J (and read an interesting
> article arguing you should not use commons logging!), and also used
> the Avalon logging API (which seems horrid to me).
>
> Just wondering if there are a) any other logging APIs knocking around
> and b) any essays comparing such APIs? (I've found and read a number
> of comparisons between the 1.4 and Log4J APIs, I'm thinking of
> comparisons with other ones if they exist.)
>
> Reason for asking is that all I've played with/read about so far only
> discuss 1.4 and Log4J and generally come down in favour of Log4J.
> However, in an unrelated discussion on the Java Gaming forums someone
> clearly pretty experienced made a throw-away comment about Log4J being
> a very poor logging API. I didn't take him up on the statement at the
> time and probably couldn't find the comment again now, but it's been
> steadily gnawing away at the back of my mind and I'd be interested if
> anyone shares that view, would like to explain it and could offer an
> alternative API they prefer.
>
> Currently I'm very happy with Log4J, but then I bet I'd have been
> happy with raw meat had I been born before someone worked out it
> tastes better after putting it on the fire for a bit...

Robert Elliot

Thanks very much - very interesting!

Rob