Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Reading Esri shapefile cordinates with Java

Reading Esri shapefile cordinates with Java

Lese

Hello!

I need to read Esri shapefiles with Java. If I am given coordinates I
have to tell what is in that point in different layers of digital map
(for example street, building, restaurant).

Ideas where to start? I have read the Esri shapefile technical
documentation.

Andrew Thompson

On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:38 -0700, Lese wrote:

> Ideas where to start?

I generally start with 'import' statements,
though a lot of people prefer to put a few lines
of '//' style comments at the top listing the
file's own name (go figure) and other trivial
information..

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson

Chris Uppal

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> > Ideas where to start?

> I generally start with 'import' statements,

-- chris

Gorf

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a4o7kpobl2sf.1n3xq0ullzqy9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:38 -0700, Lese wrote:
>
> > Ideas where to start?

> I generally start with 'import' statements,
> though a lot of people prefer to put a few lines
> of '//' style comments at the top listing the
> file's own name (go figure) and other trivial
> information..

....strange, I generally start with a 'package' statement...

--
Gorf

Darren

> I need to read Esri shapefiles with Java. If I am given coordinates I
> have to tell what is in that point in different layers of digital map
> (for example street, building, restaurant).
>
> Ideas where to start? I have read the Esri shapefile technical
> documentation.

Unless you are interested in writing it all from scratch I'd opt for one
of the opensource libraries that can already read shapefiles. IMHO
Geotools is one of the best; geotools-lite would be more suitable for
what you want to do http://lite.geotools.org

Darren

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:42:24 +0100, Gorf wrote:
> "Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:38 -0700, Lese wrote:
>>
>>> Ideas where to start?

>> I generally start with 'import' statements,

> ...strange, I generally start with a 'package' statement

Sure, if I am confident I know what I
am doing and how to do it, the code goes
straight into a package.

But if I am approaching a new area I will
often drag a resource (such as a document)
into the code directory and dispense with
package stamements.

Of course, if you never try anything new,
use packages from the outset.

--
Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:35:44 GMT, Andrew Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Of course, if you never try anything new,
>use packages from the outset.

Putting a smiley on a dagger does not make it funny.

American TV is based on the sitcom, which consist of people exchanging
imaginative insults. It falls flat in many other countries as does
much national humour.

You think you are being witty, but it comes across to an international
audience as rude.

You puzzle me. You put out a lot of effort to be helpful, but you
almost invariably deliver your help with a slap or a sting, even to
people who have done nothing out of the ordinary to deserve it.

Save your venom for those twits who are trying to waste the once in
lifetime opportunity to go to school by getting others to do their
homework for them.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:14:06 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:

> Save your venom for those twits..

Thanks, no. So many twits, so much 'venom'..

[ I won't add a smiley, though I'll
sneak in a.. ]

--
Andrew Thompson