Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > putting a licence key in a java program

putting a licence key in a java program

Roedy Green

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:03:31 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>Sure... Just see how much software companies are spending money on license
>or serial numbers, and how easily it is hacked on some crackers/hackers
>webistes

The key is to overwhelm them with what LOOKS like complicated security
code but is actually just insanity. You wear them out proving to
themselves it is nonsense. Further you layer your defences so they
think they have won, only to discover days or weeks later they have
not. They never know when they have fully hacked the program.

You must disguise security code as application code and vice versa.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Casey Hawthorne

You may want to check out the following book:

Covert Java: Techniques for Decompiling, Patching, and Reverse
Engineering
by Alex Kalinovsky (Author)

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...444344-9041121

But basically the techniques Roedy has suggested are the ones you want
to use.

"Covert Java" also discusses the techniques that pricey obfuscators
use.

--
Regards,
Casey

Michael Borgwardt

Roedy Green wrote:
> It also works on customers who don't pay bills. You send them code
> that stops working after two months unless they key in a passcode.
> You don't give them the passcode until they pay the bill.

Also known as "trial version".

Roedy Green

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:00:14 +0200, Michael Borgwardt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Also known as "trial version".

in my case this is custom written software.

Writing custom software for customers you meet on the Internet can be
problematic. If they don't pay, you can't very well take them to
small debts court.

The main clue you get the guy is going to stiff you is the way he
makes many unusually strenuous demands.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.