Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC

Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC

Albretch

Hi,

I, as a java developer, find myself constantly switching among
different DBMS.

The JDBC easies it greatly, but I am thinking about a Portable DATA
Layer kind of functionality to aliviate the problems when you must do
that.

Notice I am not talking aobut connection pooling or persistence
manager!

Here are some of the problems I would like to rid of my mind:

1._ A change of DBMS should only require a one-line change in a
properties files

DataLayer DL = new DataLayer("_.propeties");

2._ SQL statements should be declared outside the code entirely, so
that admin people and DBAs can look at the damage we devs are doing

3._ Changes in the SQL statements ('We' constantly change the Data
Tables and Structures during dev)
I don't want to have to touch the code if I change the Data layer.
Say, a new column is included in the Table

4._ I would love to query a DBMS like you call a method, without
having to worry about getInt's, and getString's things;

something like:

ResultSetRecordsObjs[] RSO02 = DL.preparedStat("SELECT
....").getRecordObjects();

Then you would simply go:

. Request.setAttribute("RSO02Ar", RSO02);

. grab the array of objects containing the returned records
information in a jSP and display the results.

Notice that only the JSP would have to be changed possibly by a
knowledgable designer.

Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
source )?

Bryce

On 17 Jun 2004 14:08:43 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Albretch) wrote:

> Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
>source )?

IBatis, Hibernate, just to name a couple.

http://www.ibatis.com/
is probably closer to what you want.

http://www.hibernate.org/
provides a very nice object to relational mapping.

I'm sure there are many others.

--
now with more cowbell

Liz

"Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 17 Jun 2004 14:08:43 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Albretch) wrote:
>
> > Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
> >source )?

> IBatis, Hibernate, just to name a couple.
>
> http://www.ibatis.com/
> is probably closer to what you want.
>
> http://www.hibernate.org/
> provides a very nice object to relational mapping.
>
> I'm sure there are many others.
>
> --
> now with more cowbell

If you limit yourself to the subset of SQL that is standard
there should be no trouble. Just need to change the name of the Driver.

Gerbrand van Dieijen

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:39:41 -0400, Bryce wrote:

>IBatis, Hibernate, just to name a couple.
>
>http://www.ibatis.com/
>is probably closer to what you want.
>
>http://www.hibernate.org/
>provides a very nice object to relational mapping.
>
>I'm sure there are many others.

There's JDO of course, with many implementations:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdo/index.jsp and http://jdocentral.com/

--
Gerbrand van Dieijen

Roedy Green