Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Survey on refactoring activities using IDEs

Survey on refactoring activities using IDEs

Sebastian Jekutsch

Dear visitors of comp.lang.java.programmer,

the Institute of Computer Science of the "Freie Universitaet Berlin" is
currently investigating the question

"Did the availability of refactoring functionality of IDEs result in
refactorings being performed more frequently?"

We would be pleased if you could participate in our survey and fill out
(requiring about 15 minutes) the survey form available online at

http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/inst/ag-...-01/survey.php

As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs) IntelliJ
IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.

In case you leave your e-mail address, we will send you the result of the
survey. Your address will only be used for this purpose and will be deleted
after completion of the study.

The survey will last until 22/6.

Many thanks for participating!

Stephan Salinger
Sebastian Jekutsch
Freie Universitaet Berlin
Institut für Informatik
Takustr. 9
D-14195 Berlin
Germany

Ryan Stewart

"Sebastian Jekutsch" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Did the availability of refactoring functionality of IDEs result in
> refactorings being performed more frequently?"

> As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs)

IntelliJ
> IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.

That's rather narrow-minded, isn't it?

Chris Uppal

Ryan Stewart wrote:

> > As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs)
> > IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.
> >

> That's rather narrow-minded, isn't it?

It probably helps to keep the survey questions clear. If you look at the form
you'll see that they specify exactly which refactorings they are talking about
by naming the actual GUI operations in the two IDEs. There's a limit to how
many such you can list without it becoming cumbersome (though they could
probably have gone as high as three).

-- chris

Liz

"Ryan Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Sebastian Jekutsch" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > "Did the availability of refactoring functionality of IDEs result in
> > refactorings being performed more frequently?"

> > As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs)

> IntelliJ
> > IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.
> >

> That's rather narrow-minded, isn't it?

No, it's "focused"

Chris Smith

Sebastian Jekutsch wrote:
> We would be pleased if you could participate in our survey and fill out
> (requiring about 15 minutes) the survey form available online at
>
> http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/inst/ag-...-01/survey.php

I just took the survey. I suspect you'd get better results if you asked
how often certain refactorings are performed. Just to take one example,
I have of course renamed classes and methods in projects prior to using
Eclipse, but I do it far *more* often for non-public API since Eclipse
adds the refactoring. This is even more true for refactorings like
extracting methods and locals, and inlining methods and locals. From my
answers, you're only going to see that I performed these by hand before
but now use the IDE function to do it. The truth is that I do a whole
lot more of it now.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

ak

the difference is of course how much time you spend for it!

--
http://uio.dev.java.net Unified I/O for Java