Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Implement SQL in Java

Re: Implement SQL in Java

Lee Fesperman

Peter wrote:

> Hi
> Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
> we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
> doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?

Lose performance? Not in this day and age! And, JVMs continue to improve. Better ones
are coming down the pike, including some that have specific capabilities to improve Java
DBMSs. Improvements in static compilation are pretty stagnant. Besides, they are limited
by being static and by the nature of languages, like C & C++.

DBMSs that are implemented in static compiled languages are mostly dependent on hardware
improvements to achieve better performance. Even then, they often must be recompiled to
take advantage of the new hardware capabilities. Systems that depend on VMs can
instantly take advantage of improved hardware, without recompilation.

A database doesn't need cross-platform? I can hardly begin to understand what this could
mean. Let me just say that a properly implemented Java DBMS can run on any operating
system and hardware architecture that your Java applicaton will. Also, read the comments
above closely.

I shan't expend much more bandwidth on this rather large topic, but I will touch on one
additional thing. Nowadays, a number of DBMSs support Java running on the database
server, for UDF's (User Defined Functions), UDT's (User Defined Types) and Stored
Procedures. Non-Java DBMSs must include their own JVM to provide this capability. These
JVMs can never be best-of-breed. A Java DBMS, on the other hand, can use the same JVM
they are running on to provide such capabilities. Thus, they can always take advantage
of the best/latest JVMs available for a given platform. For more details, see my
article: "Java and Database Synergy" (http://www.firstsql.com/javadbsynergy.shtml)

--
Lee Fesperman, FirstSQL, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
* The Ultimate DBMS is here!

Hylander

Lee Fesperman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Peter wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > Please give me some advantages for implement a database in JAVA. If
> > we develop a JAVA-database, it must lose proformance. Almost database
> > doesn't need cross-platform. So what is the rest of advantage?

> Lose performance? Not in this day and age! And, JVMs continue to improve. Better ones

I think it has a lot to do with modernization of Java's JVMs and the
lack of modernization and attention given to the corresponding C
compilers and generated executables. Power of peer review and
popularity.

Why does java.rmi.Naming not implement interface java.rmi.Registry? Jan Schulze Java 1 03-26-2005 07:45 AM
Re: Implement SQL in Java David Segall Java 19 06-04-2004 03:11 PM
Re: Implement SQL in Java Liz Java 4 06-04-2004 07:00 AM
Re: Question: How to implement "SQL" function for XML data? saucer MCSD 0 07-14-2003 01:55 AM

Advertisments