Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Inserting mathematics in a Jsp page

Re: Inserting mathematics in a Jsp page

Michael N. Christoff

"Francesco M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi all!
> I need to insert maths and Algebric expressions in a Jsp
> page. Does anybody has tried to do it and maybe could
> give an advice ? thanks a lot
> Francesco

Unless the expressions need to be dynamic, common practice is to simply
render them as .jpgs and embed them in the page as usual. Using MathML is
cool, except not universally supported (IE for example). Also, converting,
say, MS word docs with math in them to html is also not advised for the same
reason.

I would suggest using jpegs, but also include the expression in plain text
(either in MathML or TEX) as the alternate text for the graphic.

l8r, Mike N. Christoff

Roedy Green

On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:11:37 -0400, "Michael N. Christoff"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>I would suggest using jpegs, but also include the expression in plain text
>(either in MathML or TEX) as the alternate text for the graphic.

The other approach is to do what you can with <sup> and <sub> and the
various entities. see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html.

For anything complicated to could revert to an Applet or a PNG
filemage if you can prepare it ahead of time.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.