Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java for PDA, Mac with Swing & Database?

Java for PDA, Mac with Swing & Database?

Sam

I'm developing a database/swing educational Java application. Since
it's for retail distribution, it nees to run on a PDA and a Mac as
well as Windows. The database also needs to be multi-platform.

Is this do-able, or will I need separate distributions? I'm also
interested in software which simulates mac & pda, since I don't want
to buy that equipment unless it's absolutely necessary.

Regards,
SamHunt90

Darryl L. Pierce

Sam wrote:

> I'm developing a database/swing educational Java application. Since
> it's for retail distribution, it nees to run on a PDA and a Mac as
> well as Windows. The database also needs to be multi-platform.

If by PDA you mean a handheld like the iPAQ then no, you won't be able to
write one application and have it run on both a desktop and the handheld.
PDAs will run either CLDC or CDC based profiles, such as the MIDP or
Personal (Basis) Profiles and not the full-blown J2SE desktop environment.

You can definitely *share* code between both applications; i.e., you can
write common code and share those classes between both development efforts.
But, you won't be able to write a single application and run it on both.

Nor would you really want to....

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>