Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > CD image creator

CD image creator

Roedy Green

I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.

I need to either

1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
they may even include the ecc codes.

2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
list of files but in a proprietary binary format.

3. find some program that will take a list of files and use the
Windows CD burner driver.

Ideally there would be some platform independent way of doing it.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Christophe Vanfleteren

Roedy Green wrote:

> I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
> backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.
>
> I need to either
>
> 1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
> can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
> they may even include the ecc codes.
>
> 2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
> list of files but in a proprietary binary format.
>
> 3. find some program that will take a list of files and use the
> Windows CD burner driver.
>
> Ideally there would be some platform independent way of doing it.

You can create iso files using mkisofs, a commandline program which is part
of cdrtools.

<http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/mkisofs.html>

It runs on about every *nix system and windows.

--
Kind regards,
Christophe Vanfleteren

Thomas Weidenfeller

Roedy Green wrote:
> I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
> backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.

The CD format is an ISO standard (hence people started to incorrectly
call CD images "isos"). Actually, there is a whole standards series.
They are called "<some color> Book", e.g. Blue Book or Red Book.

The standard series is huge and complex. Consider using some existing
software instead of writing your own in Java. I think there is at least
one commercial Java product out there. If it doesn't have to be Java,
there is some good Open Source C software out there which you could use
via exec(). mkisofs is very common.

> 1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
> can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
> they may even include the ecc codes.
>
> 2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
> list of files but in a proprietary binary format.

Hmmm, Roxio has the habit of changing the cl format from release to
release. If I remember correctly, newer products can't even read the
older files. So if you create cl5s, you might end up in a dead end.

/Thomas

Nigel Wade

Roedy Green wrote:
> I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
> backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.
>
> I need to either
>
> 1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
> can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
> they may even include the ecc codes.
>
> 2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
> list of files but in a proprietary binary format.
>
> 3. find some program that will take a list of files and use the
> Windows CD burner driver.
>
> Ideally there would be some platform independent way of doing it.

Pardon?
You want a platform independent way of using Roxio or the Windows CD burner?

Hmm. If you can find me a platform independent verion of the Windows CD
burner that I can run on a Linux, Solaris or IRIX system, I might be able to
help...

E-mail : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Roedy Green

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:30:33 +0100, Nigel Wade <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>Pardon?
>You want a platform independent way of using Roxio or the Windows CD burner?

Heavens no. I would like a platform-independent way of burning a CD.
Interfacing to Roxio would be a platform dependent way, the best I can
think of so far.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.