Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > What is the best implementation for graph networks (edges+nodes+weights) ??

What is the best implementation for graph networks (edges+nodes+weights) ??

Tobias Merler

Ok, I could image hundreds of different implementations of a graph network.

According to computer science graph theory a network consists of a variable number
of nodes and edges from one node to some (but not necessaryily all) other nodes with a given
weight. Before I re-invent the wheel:

Does someone know a good implementation for java?

It should be as small as possible but allow adding/subtracting nodes.
Should doubled linked lists be used or should one allocate an array of nodes?
Should one use lists or implement a matrix representation?
Should one put the edges weights into the starting nodes or into separate
objects?

What is most efficient and convenient?

Don't point me to an existing library cause I have to extend the code heavily for
advanced purposes.

Thank you
Tobias

On 2004-05-07 12:12:09 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tobias Merler) said:

> Ok, I could image hundreds of different implementations of a graph network.
>
> According to computer science graph theory a network consists of a
> variable number
> of nodes and edges from one node to some (but not necessaryily all)
> other nodes with a given
> weight. Before I re-invent the wheel:
>
> Does someone know a good implementation for java?
>
> It should be as small as possible but allow adding/subtracting nodes.
> Should doubled linked lists be used or should one allocate an array of nodes?
> Should one use lists or implement a matrix representation?
> Should one put the edges weights into the starting nodes or into separate
> objects?
>
> What is most efficient and convenient?
>
> Don't point me to an existing library cause I have to extend the code
> heavily for
> advanced purposes.
>
> Thank you
> Tobias

I wrote a graph library in C#. I had a single object that contains the
objects/nodes and edges. The the edges where stored as objects. I
could send you c# source, and porting it should be easy. Just email me.
"If there is anything I can do for you or more to the point to you, let
me know."