Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tomcat SSL servlet

Tomcat SSL servlet

David G. Folch

> Hi folks!!
>
> I'm new to SSL and I've been working arround for 3 days to adapt my

servlets
> to HTTPS.
>
> I've correctly configured jakarta-tomcat 4.1.30 as shown in
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html on a WinXP box.
>
> My servlet "users" works fine with
> http://localhost:8080/myapp/services/users
>
> But when I call it with https://localhost:8443/myapp/services/users on

IE6.0
> and Mozilla1.6 both show me info about certificate and I accept, then two
> results occurs on each client:
>
> 1. Internet Explorer: show me the user form correctly, but no security
> status icon is shown, if i click where it should be the icon, IE show me
> info aboud the certificate and tells me is valid, every thing seems to be
> correct. But no icon is shown.
>
> 2. Mozilla: tells me "You have requested an encripted page that contains
> some unencrypted information. Information that you see or enter on this
> page could easily be read by a third party." and the security status icon

is
> closed but scratched in red.
>
> When I change to a non SSL address both clients tell me I'm leaving a "ssl
> connection".
>
> I've generated the certificate with keyTool from JDK1.4.1_04.
>
> Mi servlet does nothing at all about security, because I understand that
> tomcat is container security based.
>
> And now I'm lost at this point. Did I forget something??? I hope nop!
>
> Please, anyone can help to solve what's going on??
> Saludos
> David G. Folch (Barcelona/Spain)

Sudsy

David G. Folch wrote:
<snip>
>>But when I call it with https://localhost:8443/myapp/services/users on

> IE6.0
>
>>and Mozilla1.6 both show me info about certificate and I accept, then two
>>results occurs on each client:
>>
>>1. Internet Explorer: show me the user form correctly, but no security
>>status icon is shown, if i click where it should be the icon, IE show me
>>info aboud the certificate and tells me is valid, every thing seems to be
>>correct. But no icon is shown.
>>
>>2. Mozilla: tells me "You have requested an encripted page that contains
>>some unencrypted information. Information that you see or enter on this
>>page could easily be read by a third party." and the security status icon

<snip>

The key comes from the Mozilla message. You're obviously combining
secure and insecure elements on the same page, i.e. you're accessing
the page with https but something like an image is specifying a URL
with http as the protocol.
This "mixed" content is likely why the security icon isn't displayed
in IE.

David G. Folch

Thanx Sudsy!

Your answer is right!!

100000000000000000 Thanks.

"Sudsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David G. Folch wrote:
> <snip>
> >>But when I call it with https://localhost:8443/myapp/services/users on

> > IE6.0
> >
> >>and Mozilla1.6 both show me info about certificate and I accept, then

two
> >>results occurs on each client:
> >>
> >>1. Internet Explorer: show me the user form correctly, but no security
> >>status icon is shown, if i click where it should be the icon, IE show me
> >>info aboud the certificate and tells me is valid, every thing seems to

be
> >>correct. But no icon is shown.
> >>
> >>2. Mozilla: tells me "You have requested an encripted page that contains
> >>some unencrypted information. Information that you see or enter on this
> >>page could easily be read by a third party." and the security status

icon
> <snip>
>
> The key comes from the Mozilla message. You're obviously combining
> secure and insecure elements on the same page, i.e. you're accessing
> the page with https but something like an image is specifying a URL
> with http as the protocol.
> This "mixed" content is likely why the security icon isn't displayed
> in IE.

Andrew Thompson

On Fri, 7 May 2004 21:14:13 +0200, David G. Folch wrote:

> Thanx Sudsy!
>
> Your answer is right!!
>
> 100000000000000000 Thanks.

What's the going rate for a Thank?

If it were 1000 to a cent, that would be,
...one thousand ..billion dollars.

Should be good for a few beers.

--
Andrew Thompson