Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > forum/discussion software

forum/discussion software

Andy Fish

Hi,

I'm developing a community/discussion/collaboration/groupware/bulletin board
type application which will be HTML/Javascript front end with a Java servlet
backend using jdbc for persistence.

I'm looking for any standard frameworks or toolkits that I could take
advantage of, especially open source stuff. I can't re-use a whole existing
application because I need users to be able to attach discussions at
specific points in my existing application, and I need to put in extensive
controls over who can do what where, and how the UI is displayed.

The problem is that every time I search for anything like "java discussion
software" I just find discussion forums about java software, not java
software for discussion forums

any pointers to existing reusable code appreciated

Andy

Willy Kreim

"Andy Fish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<mT8mc.2540$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a community/discussion/collaboration/groupware/bulletin board
> type application which will be HTML/Javascript front end with a Java servlet
> backend using jdbc for persistence.
>
> The problem is that every time I search for anything like "java discussion
> software" I just find discussion forums about java software, not java
> software for discussion forums
>
> any pointers to existing reusable code appreciated
> Andy

Why re-invent the wheel? If you're profficient with Java coding
perhaps you could joing any of these existing projects, that imho are
VERY good already, but could always get better!

mvnForum:
www.mvnforum.com

mvnForum is an open source, powerful, easy to use, easy to setup
bulletin board (forum) built on the Java J2EE technology
(Jsp/Servlet). mvnForum is compatible with any Servlet Containers
which supports Jsp 1.2 and Servlet 2.3. mvnFourm is free, opensource
and released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

YAZD:
http://yazd.yasna.com/features.jsp

Yazd Discussion Forum Software Features

* Online setup and configuration
* Content filters for:
o html code (convert the html code into displayable text)
o profanity (filter a customizable list of profanities to
filter them out)
o url coverter (convert the urls to actual links) and more
* Search facilities to search for keywords in the forums
* Auto Login for easy login of members
* Log-off users
* Group setup and management ensures easier maintenance for users
and permission setup for the administrator.
* Moderation, so you can delegate the content moderation to a
specific user.
* Password protected Administration and Configuration Area
* Complete web based administration
* Web based feature customization
* Personal profile and profile editing for users.
* New posts flag to identify new messages
* Database backend gives excellent performance and stability. Yazd
uses JDBC to communicate with the database. Currently supported
databases include Oracle, MySQL, DB2, Microsoft SQLServer, Sybase,
Interbase, Hypersonic SQL, Pointbase, Informix and Postgres.
* Database connection pooling ensures faster database access.
* Caching ensures faster performance.
* Using the skin technology you can customize the look and
integrate Yazd into your site seamlessly.
* 100% pure Java and JSP provides easier maintenance and ensures
it operates under different environments. Tested platforms include:
Apache with Tomcat, JRun, IBM Websphere, Weblogic, iPlanet, Resin, and
Enhydra.
* IT IS OPEN-SOURCE.

Willy