Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > GoF in Java?

GoF in Java?

Ken

Can someone recommend a good book that implements the GoF design patterns in Java?

Thanks!

Ken

Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/designpatterns.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Karl Hungus

My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go to
the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you know
java.

--

you know when you think you know something
and then you realize you know nothing

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Can someone recommend a good book that implements the GoF design patterns

in Java?

> Thanks!
>
> Ken

Jim

On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:15:12 GMT, "Karl Hungus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go to
>the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you know
>java.

The book is nice, but the HTML version is very worth having. Very easy
to navigate around in (which you would expect), but is not really
structured in a book fashion. Worth the money.

Jim

Roedy Green

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go to
>the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you know
>java.

On the other hand it is written in deep academese. It is not a book
for newbies.

It is a love-hate book. It is so full of useful information, but the
authors went to extreme lengths to make you work hard to extract it.

They seemed far more concerned with impressing than illuminating.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Liz

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:15:12 GMT, "Karl Hungus"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>
> >My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go

> >the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you

know
> >java.

> On the other hand it is written in deep academese. It is not a book
> for newbies.
>
> It is a love-hate book. It is so full of useful information, but the
> authors went to extreme lengths to make you work hard to extract it.
>
> They seemed far more concerned with impressing than illuminating.

Na, they put their pants on one leg at a time.......

iamfractal@hotmail.com

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<nemmc.31726$_41.2559332@attbi_s02>...
> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:15:12 GMT, "Karl Hungus"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
> >
> > >My 2 cents but every other book besides GoF is just a waste of time. Go

> > >the source, you should be able to make sense of the c++ examples if you

> know
> > >java.

> > On the other hand it is written in deep academese. It is not a book
> > for newbies.
> >
> > It is a love-hate book. It is so full of useful information, but the
> > authors went to extreme lengths to make you work hard to extract it.
> >
> > They seemed far more concerned with impressing than illuminating.

> Na, they put their pants on one leg at a time.......
>

> > --
> > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
> > Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming.
> > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary.

Fave, inexcusably-nerdy question: what's the worst line in the book?

My stumper, which I know that I will never comprehend:

From the Interpreter pattern:

"If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
simple language."

!!!!

I really must buy a new bulb for the bathroom. Hang on! Maybe if I
express the darkness of the bathroom - and my desire for bathroom
light - as a sentence in a simple language!

www.EdmundKirwan.com

Ooo, I feel dirty now that I've slagged off the great book ...

Thomas Weidenfeller

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Fave, inexcusably-nerdy question: what's the worst line in the book?
>
> My stumper, which I know that I will never comprehend:
>
> From the Interpreter pattern:
>
> "If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
> worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
> simple language."

I am not even a native speaker, but that one is pretty clear to me:

If you have to deal with the same class of problems a lot of times then
it might be a good idea

- to sit down and design a problem-specific language, where

- the language consists of simple sentences,

- allowing you to express the problem on a higher level.

Then use the Interpreter pattern to build an interpreter for that language.

In fact, the whole sentence is trivial advice. This has been done since
the stone age of computers.

/Thomas

Mike Schilling

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> From the Interpreter pattern:
>
> "If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
> worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
> simple language."

Beats me, unless "king" is a typo for "kind", in which case it means "Build
tools that will be useful frequently."

Jim

Mike Schilling wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>From the Interpreter pattern:
>>
>>"If a particular king of problem occurs often enough, then it might be
>>worthwhile to express instances of the problem as sentences in a
>>simple language."

I have the html version of the book so just for the record, its "kind"

> Beats me, unless "king" is a typo for "kind", in which case it means "Build
> tools that will be useful frequently."

Just read the next paragraph (in the book), that's exactly what
they mean.

Jim

Re : Object Factory Design Pattern by GoF, need help! orel C++ 4 08-28-2006 12:15 AM
Object Factory Design Pattern by GoF, need help!! orel C++ 1 08-27-2006 06:01 AM
GoF:"C++ [doesn't] treat classes as frist class objects" Steven T. Hatton C++ 7 09-09-2005 07:59 PM
GOF Dejan Lazic Java 12 08-02-2004 03:02 PM
GOF Interface Problem Merlin C++ 4 06-01-2004 10:11 AM

Advertisments