Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Binary Trees

Binary Trees

jova

Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
can someone please explain.

Thank You.

Adam Parkin

"jova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jBSic.33509$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If

so
> can someone please explain.
>
> Thank You.

A binary tree is a tree in which each node has at most 2 children (hence the
term binary), usually denoted the left child and the right child, but there
is no restrictions as to what each node contains relative to other nodes.

A binary search tree is a binary tree that has the additional property that
all children to the left of a parent node contain values that are less than
the parent node, and all children to the right are greater than (where the
equal to nodes go can very from implementation to implementation).

So for example:
8
/ \
6 12
/ \ \
3 7 15

would be a binary search tree, as 3 is less than 6 (and thus to the left), 7
is greater than 6 (and thus to the right), 6 is less than 8 (and thus to 8's
left). Also note that there is nothing less than 12, but greater than 8, so
12 has no left child.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Andrew Thompson

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, jova wrote:

> Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
> can someone please explain.

Several someones..
<http://google.com/search?q="Binary+Tree"+"Binary+Search+Tree"+differ ence>

And BTW, if you think you are so
important as to justify cross-posting
to four groups, (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,
comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.java,
comp.lang.java.programmer),
please think again.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

Invalid group comp.lang.java dropped
F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer

--
Andrew Thompson

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Sj=F6blom?=

jova wrote:
> Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
> can someone please explain.

First off, your question is off-topic in all of the newsgroups you
posted to (and comp.lang.java is not a valid newsgroup.) Your question
belongs in comp.programming (follow-ups set).

Normally, they are interchangeable terms, but if you want to be
pedantic, a binary search tree imposes a certain order on the nodes of
the tree while a normal binary tree just means that each node has no
more than two leaves.
--
Daniel Sj÷blom
Remove _NOSPAM to reply by mail

jova

Thanks Adam that helps a lot.

Andrew I don't think I'm important I just wanted to someone to explain it to
me in a manner I can understand. I seen someone get flame for not telling
people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
EVERYONE KNOW. SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP) I did a google search I see
diagrams and didn't understand the concept. By actually speaking to someone
semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put out
there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.

Why is that the C++ newsgroups have a bunch of people ready to attack than
help??? Andrew why don't you GOOGLE SEARCH THAT!!!!

Once again Thanks Adam I do understand it now.

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, jova wrote:
>
> > Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree?

If so
> > can someone please explain.

> Several someones..
> <http://google.com/search?q="Binary+Tree"+"Binary+Search+Tree"+differ ence>
>
> And BTW, if you think you are so
> important as to justify cross-posting
> to four groups, (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,
> comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.java,
> comp.lang.java.programmer),
> please think again.
> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>
>
> Invalid group comp.lang.java dropped
> F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer
>
> --
> Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, "jova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or
quoted :

>Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
>can someone please explain.

no, but there are many flavours of tree structured search indexes.

Some of the more famous B-tree, B+tree, Red-Black tree (used in Java
Collections), binary tree, ISAM. Might check out Knuth for the
bestiary.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/knuth.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:55:33 GMT, "jova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or
quoted :

>I seen someone get flame for not telling
>people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
>EVERYONE KNOW. SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
>QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP)

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html for hints on
crossposting.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:25:56 GMT, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>>Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree? If so
>>can someone please explain.

>no, but there are many flavours of tree structured search indexes.

I should be more careful. It depends on who is using the term. Most
people throw that term around very loosely to describe any sort of
tree structure even when it is not binary!! e.g. an n-nary tree.

If your CS prof used the terms, he is making the distiction Andrew
mentioned.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Icemerth

"jova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pYSic.33516$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Thanks Adam that helps a lot.
>
> Andrew I don't think I'm important I just wanted to someone to explain it to
> me in a manner I can understand. I seen someone get flame for not telling
> people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
> EVERYONE KNOW. SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
> QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP) I did a google search I see
> diagrams and didn't understand the concept. By actually speaking to someone
> semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
> specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put out
> there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
> newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.
>
> Why is that the C++ newsgroups have a bunch of people ready to attack than
> help??? Andrew why don't you GOOGLE SEARCH THAT!!!!
>
> Once again Thanks Adam I do understand it now.
>
> "Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:30:55 GMT, jova wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a difference between a Binary Tree and a Binary Search Tree?

> If so
> > > can someone please explain.

> > Several someones..
> > <http://google.com/search?q="Binary+Tree"+"Binary+Search+Tree"+differ ence>
> >
> > And BTW, if you think you are so
> > important as to justify cross-posting
> > to four groups, (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,
> > comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.java,
> > comp.lang.java.programmer),
> > please think again.
> > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>
> >
> > Invalid group comp.lang.java dropped
> > F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Thompson
> > http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
> > http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
> > http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology

m m

Andrew Thompson

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:55:33 GMT, jova wrote:

> Andrew I don't think I'm important I just wanted to someone to explain it to
> me in a manner I can understand.

You could have expressed that in your question.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#specific>

>..I seen someone get flame for not telling
> people they crosspost (SO I FIGURED I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING
> EVERYONE KNOW.

Try basing your actions on actual information
in future. You do not seem terribly good at
this 'figuring'..

And please do not yell. I am not deaf.

>..SO WHEN PEOPLE GO TO OTHER GROUPS THEY WON"T ANSWER THE SAME
> QUESTION. YOU CAN'T WIN WITH THIS GROUP)

If they had any sense they would do the
same Google search I specified for you.

They would probably not be chasing up lazy
2 line questions that were cross-posted to
four groups.

> ..I did a google search I see
> diagrams and didn't understand the concept.

Where did you express that in your smart question.?
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before>

You _now_ claim to have done those things
(though not very convincingly), so let's
add a seventh..
7. Do not presume the audience is psychic

>...By actually speaking to someone
> semi-live I can get a better understanding of it. I can't ask google a
> specific question and get an answer. Google gives only what people put out
> there and sometimes I can't understand that. So, I figure I come to the
> newsgroup and ask the question. Isn't that's why this is here.

To 'Ask a specific question and
get a (specific) answer'?

No. You are thinking of an _HelpLine_.
You pay for those, it's a service.

Newsgroups are communities of people who wish
to discuss subjects of common interest.

> Why is that the C++ newsgroups have a bunch of people ready to attack than
> help??? Andrew why don't you GOOGLE SEARCH THAT!!!!

(chuckles) I am glad you blamed the C++
folks. 'We' are horrible, no?

--
Andrew Thompson

Binary search trees (AVL trees) jacob navia C Programming 34 01-08-2010 07:27 PM
Lock-free binary trees Joe Seigh Java 27 07-16-2006 08:54 PM
Binary Trees jova C++ 11 04-26-2004 06:41 AM
Binary trees JC C++ 6 12-10-2003 04:30 PM
Non-Binary Trees Will Oram C++ 3 10-28-2003 01:01 PM

Advertisments