Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > newbie servlet question

newbie servlet question

Lem

How do I compile a servlet? What are the SDKs required? I have J2SE 1.4.1
and the compiler cannot find javax.servlet.http.*

Thanks in advance,
Lem

Andrew Thompson

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:11:19 +0800, Lem wrote:

> How do I compile a servlet? What are the SDKs required?
> I have J2SE 1.4.1

You need the J2EE (enterprise edition)
to do servlets and JSP's. Let me know
if you have problems at the download page
(which seems to list a plethora of
possibilities, all very similarly named).

Get something like Apache/Tomcat as well,
the server. This also allows you to run
& view your pages locally.

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:11:19 +0800, "Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
or quoted :

>How do I compile a servlet? What are the SDKs required? I have J2SE 1.4.1
>and the compiler cannot find javax.servlet.http.*

An implementation javax.servlet.* should come with your Servlet womb.
Read the docs on how to set up the jars and classpaths so you can
compile.

Sometimes you compile with one library and run with another. ARRRGH!

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servletwomb.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Mickey Segal

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> An implementation javax.servlet.* should come with your Servlet womb.

Some getting started with servlets material is at:
http://segal.org/java/servlets/start.html and its links. As Roedy points
out, you can use J2SE instead of J2EE if you add the servlet JAR from a
servlet container.