Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Unfixable Tomcat Error !

Unfixable Tomcat Error !

prashant

I have been trying to solve the following error. I also looked up for
solutions in the groups and a in couple other websites but nothing
seems to solve the problem. The following is the problem description:

I have unzipped & installed tomcat-4.1.30 on Sun Solaris (Unix). I
run tomcat on port 8118 and it works fine. I also executed a couple of
examples from <...>/examples/jsp and they work fine too. Then I
created 2 new folders under webapps as follows
<...>/webapps/users/pkhann1
(here users & pkhann1 are the new folders that I created)
Then I copied the dates folder from <...>/webapps/examples/jsp/dates
to <...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/ and then I created another folder
WEB-INF/classes as follows
<...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF/classes
and copied the respective class & java file of dates as follows:
<...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF/classes/JspCalendar.class
<...>/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF/classes/JspCalendar.java

But when I try executing dates.jsp, i get the following error:
HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: dates.JspCalendar
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.BeanRepository.getBeanT ype(BeanRepository.java:183)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator$GenerateVisit or.visit(Generator.java:692)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$GetProperty.accept (Node.java:552)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.j ava:102
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visitBody( Node.java:1070)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visit(Node .java:1076)
<snipped for breavity>

root cause
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: dates.JspCalendar

I have tried to do the following, but nothing worked:
1. Copied the web.xml from
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/examples/WEB-INF
to jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/users/pkhann1/WEB-INF and stopped and
started the server, but it didn't work.
2. Tried to add the import page statement in the dates.jsp, but it
didn't work either.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanx for your help in advance

prashant

Hi!

Thank u for helping me out. I fixed the problem. I did a page import
in my dates.jsp and BINGO! it worked. The following is what I added:

<%@ page import="dates.JspCalendar" %>
But the dates.jsp under .../webapps/examples/jsp/dates runs fine
without including the above statement, it isn't so when i execute
dates.jsp present under .../webapps/users/pkhann1/jsp/dates, when i
try to run dates.jsp present under this directory, it gives me a
classNotFounfException(as mentioned in my previous mails).

If possible please do try to help me out with this.

Thanx in advance