Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Internet Explorer Java Failure

Internet Explorer Java Failure

Roedy Green

I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
able to run Applets.

IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

It is looking in the wrong place. The JVM lives in
C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

Is there anything I can to to clear its pea brain?

I could not find the string "hotspot" in the registry anywhere.

Do I have to humour it by putting a copy where it is looking?

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:28:06 GMT, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>It is looking in the wrong place. The JVM lives in
>C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

making a copy in some hotspot directories did not help.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

JScoobyCed

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
> able to run Applets.
>
> IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
> \bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

I don't have this problem:
Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
JDK 1.4.2_04

JScoobyCed
-------------

Roedy Green

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:06:08 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>I don't have this problem:
>Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
>Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
>JDK 1.4.2_04

does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
if it were.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Dave Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:06:08 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote or quoted :
>
> >I don't have this problem:
> >Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
> >Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
> >JDK 1.4.2_04

> does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
> that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
> if it were.

It might if it were a decent install package - apparently it is not. The
only workaround that I have come up with is to uninstall / reboot /
reinstall *to a different directory* which seems to rewrite the registry
key. (If you reinstall to the same directory it does not).

If you find the registry key elsewhere - please post it.

HTH

--
Dave Miller
FundablePlans - Create a custom business plan online - only $39.95

Roedy Green

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:32:05 -0400, Dave Miller
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>It might if it were a decent install package - apparently it is not. The
>only workaround that I have come up with is to uninstall / reboot /
>reinstall *to a different directory* which seems to rewrite the registry
>key. (If you reinstall to the same directory it does not).
>
>If you find the registry key elsewhere - please post it.

I tried your technique. No joy. However, I did in the process
discover something that DOES work. Go into the Java control panel.
Turn IE off, hit apply, then turn it on again.

I used to have a tool from Norton that would let you know what keys
recently changed in the registry. I suppose now that the control
panel works you could figure it out with something that could compare
the unicode dumps of the registry before and after.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 04:48:52 GMT, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>I did in the process
>discover something that DOES work. Go into the Java control panel.
>Turn IE off, hit apply, then turn it on again

I have documented this and other recovery techniques for a failed JDK
install at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

JScoobyCed

"Dave Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
> > that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
> > if it were.

Note sure that's what you are looking for, but I found jvm.dll on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4.2_04

JScoobyCed
-------------

Mickey Segal

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped
> being able to run Applets.

Had you tried to apply the broken "MS JVM removal tool"? As chronicled in
the recent thread "Make the MS JVM safe" and
http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp this could break the ability of Internet
Explorer to run applets with the Sun JVM.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Roedy Green wrote:
> I used to have a tool from Norton that would let you know what keys
> recently changed in the registry. I suppose now that the control
> panel works you could figure it out with something that could compare
> the unicode dumps of the registry before and after.

Or you could live-monitor and capture the changes with the free registry
monitor from sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

/Thomas