Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JMF webcam support

JMF webcam support

Roedy Green

JMF only seems to support RGB mode webcameras. Is there a way of
knowing if they will work in this mode before you buy? Is there a
list of Java-compatible webcams somewhere.

I have a cheapie Labtec USB that does work, but the image quality is
atrocious. Creative labs does not appear to work, neither does an
E-Video DC-350 USB Camera.

there is a short list at
http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...1/formats.html

I guess I could start a list in the Java glossary of ones that
work/don't work. Please pass on your comments or else notes on how to
make YUV format work.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

What brands of WebCam are people having success with under Java JMF?

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

JScoobyCed

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JMF only seems to support RGB mode webcameras. Is there a way of
> knowing if they will work in this mode before you buy? Is there a
> list of Java-compatible webcams somewhere.

I didn't try YUV format with JMF, but I'll try when I go back home and tell
you tomorow.

> I have a cheapie Labtec USB that does work, but the image quality is
> atrocious. Creative labs does not appear to work, neither does an
> E-Video DC-350 USB Camera.

Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light comes
from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

> there is a short list at
> http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...1/formats.html
>
> I guess I could start a list in the Java glossary of ones that
> work/don't work. Please pass on your comments or else notes on how to
> make YUV format work.

Sure, I'll post tomorow if it works.
> --
> Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

JScoobyCed
-------------

Roedy Green

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:00:16 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light comes
>from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

The strange thing is Java Media Studio does work with cameras that
won't work in JMF. They are doing something clever to make YUV work.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

JScoobyCed

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light

comes
> >from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

> The strange thing is Java Media Studio does work with cameras that
> won't work in JMF. They are doing something clever to make YUV work.

My code works with YUV format: YUV, 640x480, FrameRate=15.0 (and other sets
of sizes and framerate)
I use some code that can be found on the JMF website in the application
sample (a set of CaptureUtil.java, MonitorStream.java, ...)

JScoobyCed
-------------

Roedy Green

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:30:27 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
or quoted :

>My code works with YUV format: YUV, 640x480, FrameRate=15.0 (and other sets
>of sizes and framerate)
>I use some code that can be found on the JMF website in the application
>sample (a set of CaptureUtil.java, MonitorStream.java, ...)

That is terrific news. I banged my head against that for days trying
to get YUV to work.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.