Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Best free Java IDE with debug tools?

Best free Java IDE with debug tools?

Jeffrey Spoon

Hello, I'm using JCreator LE at the moment and it's pretty basic. I'm
looking for an IDE with a step-trace/walkthrough type feature so I can
view each line of code as it executes along with the output. Any
recommendations?

Cheers.

--
Jeffrey Spoon

asaguden

- netbeans.org/sun one studio

- eclipse

Good luck.

Jeffrey Spoon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello, I'm using JCreator LE at the moment and it's pretty basic. I'm
> looking for an IDE with a step-trace/walkthrough type feature so I can
> view each line of code as it executes along with the output. Any
> recommendations?
>

> Cheers.

Wald

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (asaguden) wrote:

> - netbeans.org/sun one studio
>
> - eclipse

+1 for eclipse, never worked with the others.

Wald

Georgy Pavlov

- eclipse (www.eclipse.org)
- IntelliJ IDEA (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/)

Both are great IDEs. In my oppinion actually the best ones.

"Jeffrey Spoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello, I'm using JCreator LE at the moment and it's pretty basic. I'm
> looking for an IDE with a step-trace/walkthrough type feature so I can
> view each line of code as it executes along with the output. Any
> recommendations?
>

> Cheers.
>

> --
> Jeffrey Spoon

Josef Garvi

Wald wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (asaguden) wrote:
>

>>- netbeans.org/sun one studio
>>
>>- eclipse

Eclipse is very good, but if you don't have too much memory in your
machine, you may want to look for something more light-weight (and netbeans
is also good, and heavyweight)

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Wald

Josef Garvi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Wald wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) (asaguden) wrote:
>>

>>>- netbeans.org/sun one studio
>>>
>>>- eclipse

> Eclipse is very good, but if you don't have too much memory in
> your machine, you may want to look for something more
> light-weight (and netbeans is also good, and heavyweight)

True. I've worked with Eclipse on a 256MB machine and I must admit,
an upgrade to 512MB was a relief. But then again, I think every IDE
nowadays requires a reasonably powerful machine to run decently.

Greetz,
Wald

Jeffrey Spoon

In message <Xns94CD77ECF3564arnoutstandaertagrku@134.58.127.1 2>, Wald
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Josef Garvi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Wald wrote:

>> Eclipse is very good, but if you don't have too much memory in
>> your machine, you may want to look for something more
>> light-weight (and netbeans is also good, and heavyweight)

>True. I've worked with Eclipse on a 256MB machine and I must admit,
>an upgrade to 512MB was a relief. But then again, I think every IDE
>nowadays requires a reasonably powerful machine to run decently.
>
>Greetz,
>Wald

That's ok, I have 512MB. I actually posted to comp.lang.java.help about
my specific program (Shunting algorithm thread) but looks like I'll have
to figure out myself (although I'm probably just being impatient as
usual). I was a bit fed up of tracing it using printouts manually so
this should help. I'll have a look at Eclipse. I didn't realise Netbeans
was free either, I might as well have a look at that too.

Thanks everyone.

--
Jeffrey Spoon

Josef Garvi

Jeffrey Spoon wrote:

> this should help. I'll have a look at Eclipse. I didn't realise Netbeans
> was free either, I might as well have a look at that too.

The latest 3.6 version has a nice feature. It will show JavaDoc comments
about a method as you highlight it in the auto-completion list, giving you
better insight into what you are calling.

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Stanimir Stamenkov

/Georgy Pavlov/:

> - eclipse (www.eclipse.org)
> - IntelliJ IDEA (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/)
>
> Both are great IDEs. In my oppinion actually the best ones.

Is "ItelliJ IDEA" _free_ ?

--
Stanimir

Christophe Vanfleteren

Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

> /Georgy Pavlov/:
>
>> - eclipse (www.eclipse.org)
>> - IntelliJ IDEA (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/)
>>
>> Both are great IDEs. In my oppinion actually the best ones.

> Is "ItelliJ IDEA" _free_ ?

When one of the first links on the page says: "Buy Idea", what do you think?

--
Kind regards,
Christophe Vanfleteren