Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > What is the JMF?

What is the JMF?

Josef Garvi

I just downloaded the Java Media Framework, but it doesn't make much sense
to me. Is it supposed to be an optional API?
If so, I don't see any demos, javadoc, etc....

The file I downloaded was called jmf-2_1_1e-windows-i586.exe.

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?G=E9din_Fr=E9d=E9ric?=

Josef Garvi wrote:

> I just downloaded the Java Media Framework, but it doesn't make much sense
> to me. Is it supposed to be an optional API?
> If so, I don't see any demos, javadoc, etc....
>
> The file I downloaded was called jmf-2_1_1e-windows-i586.exe.

I am really surprized that you did not find any demo and javadoc for JMF.
Did you really have a look on
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/index.jsp or
http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects...&ca=daw-ja-dr?

You can even find a tutorial at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...n&ca=daw-ja-dr

Hope this helps

Frédéric

Josef Garvi

Gédin Frédéric wrote:

> I am really surprized that you did not find any demo and javadoc for JMF.
> Did you really have a look on
> http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/index.jsp or

Yes, and I see some online demos.
But I thought there usually is some documentation in the JDK dowloads, and
I'm wondering if I've really got a JDK or just a JRE?

> http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects...&ca=daw-ja-dr?
>
> You can even find a tutorial at
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...n&ca=daw-ja-dr

Thanks, nice links.

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drought tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty

Roedy Green

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:54:17 +0200, Josef Garvi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>I just downloaded the Java Media Framework, but it doesn't make much sense
>to me. Is it supposed to be an optional API?
>If so, I don't see any demos, javadoc, etc....

It is for interfacing cameras, microphones, and playing continuous
sound and video. see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jmf.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:54:17 +0200, Josef Garvi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>I just downloaded the Java Media Framework, but it doesn't make much sense
>to me. Is it supposed to be an optional API?
>If so, I don't see any demos, javadoc, etc...

The big problem I have with it is lack of source code. I can't use my
navigation tools to rapidly chase around and find classes and methods.

I have pretend to be the easter bunny looking for them in various
warrens.

--

Roedy Green wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:54:17 +0200, Josef Garvi
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>

>>I just downloaded the Java Media Framework, but it doesn't make much sense
>>to me. Is it supposed to be an optional API?
>>If so, I don't see any demos, javadoc, etc....

> It is for interfacing cameras, microphones, and playing continuous
> sound and video. see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jmf.html

If my goal is to capture frames from video clips, would this be the right
thing to use, or is it overkill? (i.e. one frame per clip to use as
thumbnail in an index).