Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Sprocs and BMP or CMP (EJBs)

Sprocs and BMP or CMP (EJBs)

John

Hi,

I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
rely on CMP.

It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
the whole thing for me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Sudsy

John wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
> stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
> rely on CMP.
>
> It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
> to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
> putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
> the whole thing for me.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

To me, the biggest advantage of the J2EE architecture is that you can
plug-and-play if you design your applications properly.
That's why I don't want to depend on stored procedure or triggers in a
database. All of the business logic should be implemented in the J2EE
server. That way I can pull out Sybase or Oracle and install DB/2 or
Informix. No changes to the application should be required.
And that's why I would go with CMP. I want to stay as far away from
JDBC and the database as possible. You don't want to get too close and
introduce dependencies; that limits portability.

Chris Smith

John wrote:
> I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
> stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
> rely on CMP.
>
> It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
> to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
> putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
> the whole thing for me.

Depends on the complexity of your data access needs. What kinds of data
access challenges do you expect to face?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

John

Chris Smith wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>>I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
>>stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
>>rely on CMP.
>>
>>It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
>>to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
>>putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
>>the whole thing for me.

> Depends on the complexity of your data access needs. What kinds of data
> access challenges do you expect to face?

Its fairly straightforward Relational DB stuff, but i previously used
some quite complex transactions across multiple tables. At the moment
I'm trying to work out how well CMP deals with transactions of this sort.

CMP or BMP ? gk Java 0 10-08-2005 12:27 PM
What is the difference between CMP and BMP EJB's (beans) ? Tobias Merler Java 1 09-08-2004 10:14 PM
no cmp field defined in cmp ejb Andrea Sansottera Java 0 07-16-2004 02:24 PM
relation from a CMP to a BMP lionel pacoud Java 1 06-10-2004 05:33 AM
Combining BMP and CMP within a Transaction in a session bean (facade) Mick Willis Java 1 09-03-2003 08:56 PM

Advertisments