Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tree View Structure

Tree View Structure

Nithya

Hi

I need to develop/ use a tree view. It should be displayed in a jsp
page..
The structure will somewhat look like this:

Root

/ | \
/ | \
C1 C2 C3
/ | \ \ / | \
C1a C1b C1c C23a C3a C3b
Child can also have multiple parents..
What can be done for this? Can I get the code/ component from
somewhere? If not how can this be developed??

If not can I get some flow details regarding this structure?

Regards
Nithya

Andrew Thompson

On 11 Apr 2004 22:16:34 -0700, Nithya wrote:

> I need to develop/ use a tree view. It should be displayed in a jsp
> page..

You mean it will end up HTML?

> The structure will somewhat look like this:
>

> Root
>
> / | \
> / | \
> C1 C2 C3

Nested list (<li>)?

> / | \ \ / | \
> C1a C1b C1c C23a C3a C3b
> Child can also have multiple parents..

Nu-uh.. that blows the nested list.

How about an applet?

>..Can I get the code/ component from
> somewhere? If not how can this be developed??

...once you have figured how to structure
your data, and in fact implemented that
structure, you could write the data directly
into the web page as an attribute for the applet.

I use an applet on my sites* called LiveGraphics 3D.
* <http://www.1point1c.org/model/index.jsp>

It could do the rendering. You can see it reading
data directly from a web page here..
<http://www.vis.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/LiveGraphics3D/examples/globe.html>

That is how you might approach the rendering
part of this problem. I am not sure about
the rest.

--
Andrew Thompson

Matt Humphrey

"Nithya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi
>
> I need to develop/ use a tree view. It should be displayed in a jsp
> page..
> The structure will somewhat look like this:
>

> Root
>
> / | \
> / | \
> C1 C2 C3
> / | \ \ / | \
> C1a C1b C1c C23a C3a C3b
> Child can also have multiple parents..

If a child can have multiple parents you don't have a tree--you have a
graph. The rendering technique will vary depending on whether your graph
will have cycles and how you want to handle the extra links.

> What can be done for this? Can I get the code/ component from
> somewhere? If not how can this be developed??

Search the web and SourceForge. I would think that your application details
will be too specific to be able to use a generic solution and you'll have to
do up your own. I'm not sure if JSP will handle this (I'm not a JSP person)
but I have coded this both as an applet and an image-generating servlet.

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) http://www.iviz.com/

antroy

>>Child can also have multiple parents..
>

> If a child can have multiple parents you don't have a tree--you have a
> graph. The rendering technique will vary depending on whether your graph
> will have cycles and how you want to handle the extra links.

That's right. There's a sourceforge project called JGraph that handles
graphs.

--
Ant...