Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JAXB - useful or a hindrance?

JAXB - useful or a hindrance?

mat

I'm pondering utilising JAXB to interrogate SOAP messages defined in a
schema. However, as currently concocted the schema will likely have
to change/evolve frequently with new element types being added which
would mean having to recompile the derived-classes and, more
importantly, recode the app. I see two ways around this

a) ditch JAXB and use more general methods to interrogate the document
e.g.

getPropertyValue(String property)

as opposed to

getPropertyX()

or

b) make the schema itself more extensible
e.g. by have a more generic element type with variable
sub-elements/attributes which satisfy my needs for the forseeable
future - the only difficulty here being the forseeing.

Any advice appreciated.