Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Applet class not found error --- please help

Applet class not found error --- please help

Bush will disarm all workers next

The applet is displayed correctly on browser on machine A, but not on
machine B. Both A&B are using IE 6 browsers and A is using 1.4.2 JVM
(Sun) and B is using 1.4.1 JVM (Microsoft). The applet code is
developed in swing. Isn't swing supported in 1.4.1 JVM? Do I need to
install Sun JVM plug in on machine B? How can I set up the html to
prompt the user to download the java plug in?

Thanks!

Dakshin

Andrew Thompson

On 9 Apr 2004 06:30:25 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:

> The applet

URL?

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1sg0h35ehe3au.g66ywl2z88t6$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 9 Apr 2004 06:30:25 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:
>
> > The applet

> URL?

Following the advice from a thread in this group used HtmlConvert. The
applet
is now visible, but not looking quite right. The applet implements a
JTable
and has a tool bar on the top, a scroll bar on the right with
rows and columns in the middle. The toolbar looks fine but the scroll
bar and table are misplaced with the scroll bar appearing only
partially at the top where the toolbar buttons are. The applet is
visible for intranet users and I don't have the privilege to post it
in the public domain.

Thanks
Dakshin

Andrew Thompson

On 9 Apr 2004 12:16:08 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:

> Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1sg0h35ehe3au.g66ywl2z88t6$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 9 Apr 2004 06:30:25 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:
>>
>>> The applet

>> URL?

> Following the advice from a thread in this group used HtmlConvert.

That was not particularly good advice,
especially when you are just in
'testing' mode.

Your applet will work using the applet
tag as long as the user has a version
at, or higher than, what you made it for
(excepting esoteric circumstances).

Since most developers run 1.4/1.5, it is
reasonable to expect we have a suitable version.

When you go public, it is better to
use my solution in preference to that
botched tag soup that htmlconverter
churns out. You can see my solution
to Java versioning at..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp>

> The applet
> is now visible,

Where?

....wait a second!

I was just looking _real_ close
at your original post..
"B is using 1.4.1 JVM (Microsoft).
The applet code is developed in swing.
Isn't swing supported in 1.4.1 JVM?"

Skimming, I saw 1.4... and JVM and Swing,
but missed _Microsoft_

Microsoft _Never_ made a 1.4 VM,
their VM is stuck in 1.1.4 note that
is Java Version 1.1(.4).

In answer to your question, yes Swing
is in 1.4, no it is not in 1.1.

Swing was available as a 'plug-in' jar
towards the end of 1.1, but was not in
the core classes.
Swing was in the core classes at 1.2.

Since your friend obviously has an MS VM
installed and armed, could you do me a
favour and get them to do my little test
over at <http://www.physci.org/ms/msclassfile.jsp>
just surf on in there and click 'forward information'

They might also want to check this out,
to protect themselves from that same VM.
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

--
Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green

On 9 Apr 2004 06:30:25 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bush will disarm
all workers next) wrote or quoted :

>The applet is displayed correctly on browser on machine A, but not on
>machine B. Both A&B are using IE 6 browsers and A is using 1.4.2 JVM
>(Sun) and B is using 1.4.1 JVM (Microsoft). The applet code is
>developed in swing. Isn't swing supported in 1.4.1 JVM? Do I need to
>install Sun JVM plug in on machine B? How can I set up the html to
>prompt the user to download the java plug in?

It SHOULD work. Try looking at this page with both browsers to make
sure you have the JVM installed that you think you do.

http://mindprod.com/wassup.html

When the applet fails, check out the console and report the exception.
It will give you more of a clue what is going wrong.

Normally all browsers use the same version of Java automatically.

You can also try http://opera.com for a fast browser than does work
with Java.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Bush will disarm all workers next

Andrew & Roedy,
Many thanks for your suggestions. The problem with applet display was fixed
by setting the width,height,left and top of browser window using javascript.
I will look into your solutions in more detail and followup on them.
Many thanks once more.
Dakshin

On 11 Apr 2004 12:18:39 -0700, Bush will disarm all workers next wrote:

> Andrew & Roedy,
> Many thanks for your suggestions. The problem with applet display was fixed
> by setting the width,height,left and top of browser window using javascript

?!?!? Are you _mad_?!?

Changing the browser window size using JavaScript
has absolutely no connection with Java versioning.

And, irritatingly, you ignored both times
when I asked for the ** URL **.

**Where** is this Applet that requires JavaScript
to set the browser window size before it can
run Swing on the MS VM?

[ And while we are at it, could you put your
rather than top-post them? ]

--
Andrew Thompson