Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > App server unable to connect to SQL Server 2000 developer edition on localhost.

App server unable to connect to SQL Server 2000 developer edition on localhost.

LB

Anyone encounter differences between SQL2K EE and SQL2K Dev Editon?

FAILS
-----
Machine_A [App Server] <-- JDBC --> Machine_A\SQL2K_Dev_Ed..db

Error: "com.inet.tds.SQLException: Connection refused"

When app server on Machine_A attempts to connect to database on
Machine_A the conenction is refused.

SUCCEEDS
---------
Machine_A [App Server] <-- JDBC --> Machine_B\SQL2K_EE..db

When app server on Machine_A attempts to connect to database on
Machine_B the conenction succeeds and the app server runs normally.

JDBC driver: com.inet.tds.TdsDriver

jdbc:inetdae7:locahost:1433

I don't believe the app server is exhausting the 10-connection max on
SQL2K developer edition (there is a 10-connection limit imposed on the
developer edition, correct?)

LB

Simon Hayes

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LB) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Anyone encounter differences between SQL2K EE and SQL2K Dev Editon?
>
> FAILS
> -----
> Machine_A [App Server] <-- JDBC --> Machine_A\SQL2K_Dev_Ed..db
>
> Error: "com.inet.tds.SQLException: Connection refused"
>
> When app server on Machine_A attempts to connect to database on
> Machine_A the conenction is refused.
>

> SUCCEEDS
> ---------
> Machine_A [App Server] <-- JDBC --> Machine_B\SQL2K_EE..db
>

> When app server on Machine_A attempts to connect to database on
> Machine_B the conenction succeeds and the app server runs normally.
>
> JDBC driver: com.inet.tds.TdsDriver
>
> jdbc:inetdae7:locahost:1433
>
> I don't believe the app server is exhausting the 10-connection max on
> SQL2K developer edition (there is a 10-connection limit imposed on the
> developer edition, correct?)
>
> LB

There is no connection limit in Developer Edition - it's Enterprise
Edition with a different licence.

I don't know exactly what "Connection refused" means, but you might
want to check the SQL Server logs for failed logins, and also test
your username/password combination with osql.exe or whatever, just to
make sure it works correctly. You could also check the authentication
modes on the two servers (Windows or Mixed), to see if they are the
same - username/password works only in Mixed mode, if that's what
you're using.

Simon

LB

(E-Mail Removed) (Simon Hayes) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

.... [See first post for text that appeared here]

> There is no connection limit in Developer Edition - it's Enterprise
> Edition with a different licence.
>
> I don't know exactly what "Connection refused" means, but you might
> want to check the SQL Server logs for failed logins, and also test
> your username/password combination with osql.exe or whatever, just to
> make sure it works correctly. You could also check the authentication
> modes on the two servers (Windows or Mixed), to see if they are the
> same - username/password works only in Mixed mode, if that's what
> you're using.
>
> Simon

Thanks for the feedback.

LB