Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java web application connected users

java web application connected users

Henry Cabot Enaus III

Hi all,
how can I list all users logged in a web application?

I have a web app running under tomcat,
user log in with a basic authentication.

I would like to write a servlet that show
all the active connection and relative usernames.

It's possible?

thank you

Enrique

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Henry Cabot Enaus III) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi all,
> how can I list all users logged in a web application?
>
> I have a web app running under tomcat,
> user log in with a basic authentication.
>
> I would like to write a servlet that show
> all the active connection and relative usernames.
>
> It's possible?
>
> thank you

Just a guess, but I think basic authentication is partially
implemented by the operating system. So perhaps you could write
software that will invoke system calls that return the number of
active users.

The challenge that I can see is that http session are basically
anonymous, so I can't think of a way to associate a username with a
particuar http session.

I am curious to see if anyone elese can respond to your questions.

Henry Cabot Enaus III

I guess you right,
now I'm trying to implements somenthing with HttpSessionListner,
unfortunly this listener cannot be associated with "request" object ...
So I could count them but not get usernames.

Another way is to implements HttpSessionBindingListener,
I read something about it in java.sun forums,
All I got is an error from tomcat 5
a strange error, the manager deploy the web application
but it could not start it the reason is "context previous error",
or something like this...

All I could wonder now is to redirect all the new session
to a servlet that update a DB table... a great classic