Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Installing J2SE SDK 1.4.2 (English) on WinXP Platform (Japanese)

Installing J2SE SDK 1.4.2 (English) on WinXP Platform (Japanese)

Elton Sir Sanjiyan Sanchez

I have the US release of WindowsXP Professional and have set the
language to Japanese. I used the option used specifically for
non-Unicode programs.
(See Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language
Options->Advanced->Language for non-Unicode Programs.)

I just tried to install the SDK and the installer, compiler, and most
all the other command-line tools report back in Japanese. Since my
knowledge of the language is not advanced enough to be able to read
error messages and what not, is there an English-only version of the
SDK available from Sun's website (or elsewhere)? If not, are there
some switches I can use with the installer to force it to install in
English?

--Elton Sanchez

Thomas Kellerer

Elton Sir Sanjiyan Sanchez schrieb:
> I have the US release of WindowsXP Professional and have set the
> language to Japanese. I used the option used specifically for
> non-Unicode programs.
> (See Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language
> Options->Advanced->Language for non-Unicode Programs.)
>
> I just tried to install the SDK and the installer, compiler, and most
> all the other command-line tools report back in Japanese. Since my
> knowledge of the language is not advanced enough to be able to read
> error messages and what not, is there an English-only version of the
> SDK available from Sun's website (or elsewhere)? If not, are there
> some switches I can use with the installer to force it to install in
> English?
>
> --Elton Sanchez

I don't know about additional downloads, but you could try to start the
java commands with -Duser.language=en then they should use english as the
language for error reports.

Thomas

sanjiyan@earthlink.net.nospamformepleeeze

Hmm. I tried the -Duser.language=en switch on my test program with javac,
but it didn't seem to work. Here's what I tried it with.

public static class EarlyReturn
{
public static void main(String [] arg)
{
return;;;; //did this to generate errors
}
}

I then tried to compile:
> javac -Duser.language=en EarlyReturn.java

But I got an error which basically said javac does not support such a
flag/option. (In Japanese, too)
Were you referring to the Java2 SDK installer? Should I apply
-Duser.language=en to that?

Open for replies from anyone. I would like to get English error messages. I
know some Japanese, but I'm not _that_ good.

--Elton Sanchez

On 29-Feb-2004, Thomas Kellerer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't know about additional downloads, but you could try to start the
> java commands with -Duser.language=en then they should use english as the
> language for error reports.
>
> Thomas

hiwa

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)amformepleeeze wrote in message news:<Oa91c.18524$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net>...
> Hmm. I tried the -Duser.language=en switch on my test program with javac,
> but it didn't seem to work. Here's what I tried it with.
>
> public static class EarlyReturn
> {
> public static void main(String [] arg)
> {
> return;;;; //did this to generate errors
> }
> }
>
> I then tried to compile:
> > javac -Duser.language=en EarlyReturn.java

> But I got an error which basically said javac does not support such a
> flag/option. (In Japanese, too)
> Were you referring to the Java2 SDK installer? Should I apply
> -Duser.language=en to that?
>
> Open for replies from anyone. I would like to get English error messages. I
> know some Japanese, but I'm not _that_ good.
>
> --Elton Sanchez
>

> On 29-Feb-2004, Thomas Kellerer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I don't know about additional downloads, but you could try to start the
> > java commands with -Duser.language=en then they should use english as the
> > language for error reports.
> >
> > Thomas

I haven't tried but I guess changing locale temporarily might be
effective for your problem. You can change locale at OS level or in
your own Java(javac/java) launcher program using java.util.Locale
class/object.

sanjiyan@earthlink.net.nospamformepleeeze

Actually I tried using the -? with the Java2 1.4.1_3 SDK installer and I got
a pop-up window something interesting:

/L LanguageID

Does anyone know how to use this switch? I couldn't find anything in the
docs about this...maybe someone has dug deeper than me?

--Sir Sanjiyan