Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Any Eclipse equivalent to WSAD server perspective?

Any Eclipse equivalent to WSAD server perspective?

Jay Eckles

At my day job I use WSAD, and I'm just getting Eclipse setup at home
for some personal projects. I've found the Sysdeo Tomcat Plugin which
is helpful for creating Tomcat projects and starting/stopping Tomcat.
However, I'm wondering if there's an Eclipse tool out there that
provides an equivalent to the Server perspective in WSAD. I'd like
something that allows me to more easily edit server.xml and web.xml,
especially when it comes to deploying servlets and such.

Googling didn't come up with anything. I know there's an Eclipse Web
Tools Project, it seems to be in the early stages with no actual tools
available yet.

Anyone have any favorites, or am I relegated to hacking the xml files
directly?

Thanks,

Jay

egor

Hello Jay.

## On 18 Feb 2004 20:16:20 -0800
## Jay Eckles wrote:

> At my day job I use WSAD, and I'm just getting Eclipse setup at home
> for some personal projects. I've found the Sysdeo Tomcat Plugin which
> is helpful for creating Tomcat projects and starting/stopping Tomcat.
> However, I'm wondering if there's an Eclipse tool out there that
> provides an equivalent to the Server perspective in WSAD. I'd like
> something that allows me to more easily edit server.xml and web.xml,
> especially when it comes to deploying servlets and such.

> Googling didn't come up with anything. I know there's an Eclipse Web
> Tools Project, it seems to be in the early stages with no actual tools
> available yet.

> Anyone have any favorites, or am I relegated to hacking the xml files
> directly?

You don't have to hack any of Tomcat's configs file (I suppose server.xml
and web.xml are config file of Tomact?) because Tomcat support hotdeploy.
All what you want to do is pack you appilcation in WAR file ant put this
file to webbapp directory of Tomcat. Tomcat will instantly pick it up
and deploy.

You even don't have to create web.xml inside WEB-INF folder of your WAR
by hand. Check out XDoclet (http://xdoclet.sf.net). It generates XML
deployments desriptors directly from your source code.

Actually you can set up ANT script (ant is natively supported by Eclipse)
which will generate deployment descriptors (with XDoclet), compile your
servlets, pack'em into WAR file and move this file to Tomcat's webapps
directory. All in one click.

Regards,
Egor