Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > which GUI library to use for database app to simply making form?

which GUI library to use for database app to simply making form?

Mladen Adamovic

Which GUI (preferably Swing) library do you suggest to me to use for making
database application?

I want to simply making forms (input to the database).

Chris Smith

Mladen Adamovic wrote:
> Which GUI (preferably Swing) library do you suggest to me to use for making
> database application?
>
> I want to simply making forms (input to the database).

Err, perhaps I don't exactly understand the question. If you want to
use Swing as you indicate above, then by all means use it! If you want
to use a different GUI library (or haven't yet decided whether to use
Swing or a different library), then you need to say more about your
requirements. In particular, what kinds of interactions do you expect
to use; how important is actual performance? How important is perceived
performance? How much time do you have to develop this? What prior
experience do you (or other members of your team) have in particular
technologies?

Incidentally, choosing a GUI library has little to do with whether your
application will be getting its information from a database or somewhere
else.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Karsten Lentzsch

Mladen Adamovic wrote:

> Which GUI (preferably Swing) library do you suggest to me to use for making
> database application?
>
> I want to simply making forms (input to the database).

If you are looking for a way to easily bind a database
to Swing views, check out the JDNC and JClient/BC4J;
learn about form-oriented layout managers, take care of
the editor's micro design and care about validation.

Find below some references. Hope this helps,
Karsten Lentzsch

*JDNC - Sun's Java Desktop Network Components*
Learn about issues you likely have to address
and stay tuned with this interesting project:
http://www.javadesktop.org/articles/JDNC/index.html

*JClient - Oracle's client architecture*
The articles and presentations around JClient
provide useful information about client architectures:
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/...ms_Client.html

*JGoodies Forms*
This is my free advanced form-oriented layout framework.
It makes simple things easy and the hard stuff possible,
the good design easy and the bad difficult:
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/index.html

*JGoodies Looks*
My free Windows look&feel and Plastic look&feel family.
These l&fs have been optimized for readability, precise
micro design and usability - many find them elegant:
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/looks/index.html

*JGoodies Validation (commercial)*
My tiny validation library and a set of validation
result views that reduce the effort required for
integrating validation into a Swing application:
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/val...emo/index.html

*JForm*
Will Boluyt's binding and validation library:
https://jform.dev.java.net/

Mladen Adamovic

"Chris Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you want to use Swing as you indicate above, then by all means use it!

Swing library is NOT good for database related products, becose it has
a lack of components. I'm searching for some GOOD Swing/DB components to
use for database application - forms.

> In particular, what kinds of interactions do you expect
> to use; how important is actual performance?

The most important think is
How important is perceived
> performance?
> How much time do you have to develop this?

I need library that allows me really fast develop of database app (using
Java and i.e. Jasperreport).
So I must be able to develop one simple form for a 2-3 hours (as I'm able to
do it with Oracle developer).

> What prior experience do you (or other members of your team) have in

particular
> technologies?

Java, C, Oracle developer (forms & reports & PL/SQL).

> Incidentally, choosing a GUI library has little to do with whether your
> application will be getting its information from a database or somewhere
> else.

You have right, my first question was ambiguous.

Mladen Adamovic

Karsten, first thanks for your reply.
"Karsten Lentzsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *JDNC - Sun's Java Desktop Network Components*

I seen nowhere Download it.

> *JClient - Oracle's client architecture*

I had been looking to avoid use of Oracle products, becouse of its price and
hardware dependents.
I want to make cheap Java database products.

> *JGoodies Forms*

This one seems OK, I would check it, but I prefer sourceforge hosted
projects, for some my reasons/opinions.

> *JForm*
> Will Boluyt's binding and validation library:
> https://jform.dev.java.net/

I wasn't able to browse its directory due to user roles/restrictions.

Karsten Lentzsch

Mladen Adamovic wrote:

> Swing library is NOT good for database related products, becose it has
> a lack of components. I'm searching for some GOOD Swing/DB components to
> use for database application - forms.

I don't quite agree. Swing doesn't lack components,
it just doesn't ship with database-bound models.

For example, the Swing JTable can render many db tables;
but it requires a custom table model that binds the
persistent data to the UI. Add generic DB browsing
behavior and you're done. That's where the libraries
mentioned before come in.

Karsten

Karsten Lentzsch

Mladen Adamovic wrote:

The JDNC and JClient information can help you learn
about problems you likely need to address too.
There's no need to download or use the software.

The same applies to the JGoodies Forms. Even if
you don't want to use it or if you can't use it,
I'd say that reading the whitepaper will help you.
Find more information about the Forms and related
issues at http://www.jgoodies.com/articles/

> This one seems OK, I would check it, but I prefer sourceforge hosted
> projects, for some my reasons/opinions.

I prefer a Java-specific ad-free server.

Anyway, you can also download the project from
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/

Best Regards,
Karsten

Mladen Adamovic

"Karsten Lentzsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For example, the Swing JTable can render many db tables;
> but it requires a custom table model that binds the
> persistent data to the UI.

JTable requires also a TableCellRenderer, TableCellEditor and often some
custom ActionPerformers for
validation, triggering, binding with other Swing elements etc.

> Add generic DB browsing
> behavior and you're done.

Is this meant to be "previous", "next" , "last record" and "commit" buttons
?

This is not all what I need.

I need also some "list of values (LOV)" like in Oracle developer (LOV)
component.
I'll explain this. Let's imagine we have database table ARTICLES with
columns id and name.
I want to have possibility to easy make components where application user
may search articles for names
and that components (we can name it LOV) may return value of article id.

I need that I could use that component for different purposes - not just for
articles, I want to use it
for employers, contracts, renters etc. - all usual DB purposes.

> That's where the libraries
> mentioned before come in.

Now I'm explain why I don't think so.

Chris Smith

Mladen Adamovic wrote:
> Swing library is NOT good for database related products, becose it has
> a lack of components. I'm searching for some GOOD Swing/DB components to
> use for database application - forms.

Mladen,

I'm trying to understand what you want here. Do you really mean that
Swing lacks components? That seems strange; it's one of the more
component-rish user interface libraries that I'm aware of. Or do you
want non-GUI functionality like database access provided for you?

One thing you should realize is that Java itself is not a "database
forms" kind of thing; it provides you with a flexible and logical way to
put different pieces together. Because of this, Java is *not* going to
give you a GUI component that can only display data from a database.
You've got a lot of GUI components available, though, and they all (with
the possible exception of the text components) provide a general and
abstract model interface that you can implement to display data from
your database.

In general, it's best to do this with knowledge of your own application,
so few people write generic models for data from databases. That's
because most sizable database applications will access the database via
some kind of generic interface that hides the details of where the data
comes from. Options there include O/R mappers, remote calls to
middleware, or just a plain set domain-specific data wrappers.

That's if you want to write an application in Java. On the other hand,
if you're looking for a canned product for generating and running
database forms, I'm not familiar with that product space. I don't know
if there are any major products of that variety that use Java in some
way (as I assume you're asking for, given your choice of newsgroups).
Hopefully, someone else will pop in and fill that void.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Robert

Karsten Lentzsch wrote:
<snip>

> I prefer a Java-specific ad-free server.

Is there one?