Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

RJGraham

Hello,

I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
select an install directory for J2SE.
How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
directory?

Thanks for any help.

-Randy

nos

"RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
> things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
>
> Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user

> select an install directory for J2SE.
> How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
> Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the

install
> directory?

I hope not.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> -Randy

RJGraham

Why not?

"nos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsyCWb.155472$U%5.707055@attbi_s03...

> "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
> > things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
> >
> > Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a

user
> > select an install directory for J2SE.
> > How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
> > Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the

> install
> > directory?

> I hope not.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > -Randy

nos

"RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why not?

I assume it means that someone can install
something on my pc without my knowledge
and concent. Sounds like a virus.

> "nos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsyCWb.155472$U%5.707055@attbi_s03...
> >
> > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

> message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
> > > things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
> > >
> > > Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a

> user
> > > select an install directory for J2SE.
> > > How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my

installer?
> > > Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the

> > install
> > > directory?

> > I hope not.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> > >
> > > -Randy

Steve W. Jackson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote:

>:Hello,
>:
>:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
>:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
>:
>:Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
>:select an install directory for J2SE.
>:How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
>:Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
>:directory?
>:
>:Thanks for any help.
>:
>:-Randy

Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
Works great.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

Ryan Stewart

> "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why not?

> I assume it means that someone can install
> something on my pc without my knowledge
> and concent. Sounds like a virus.

Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:

DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available
to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
require an internet connection during installation.

RJGraham

> >:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
> >:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

> Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
> suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
> instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
> My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
> people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
> they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
> the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
> install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
> Works great.
>
> = Steve =

Thanks Steve.

Yes, I'll head over to the zeroG forum.

I need to install a JDK, not just a JRE and for some reason all the VM packs
are JREs.

-Randy

nos

"Ryan Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "nos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

> message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Why not?

> > I assume it means that someone can install
> > something on my pc without my knowledge
> > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

> Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:
>
> DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is

available
> to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
> Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
> require an internet connection during installation.

Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the certificate.
Which makes it not silent.

Ryan Stewart

> "Ryan Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "nos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

> > message
> > > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > I assume it means that someone can install
> > > something on my pc without my knowledge
> > > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

> > Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:
> >
> > DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is

> available
> > to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
> > Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does

not
> > require an internet connection during installation.

> Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
> for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the

certificate.
> Which makes it not silent.

It's in a special download for Microsoft Volume License Customers, like to
include in off-the-shelf software. So theoretically, it looks like you could
install any given program and get DirectX installed without even knowing it.

What is the difference between J2EE, JDK, JDK-SDK, JRE and J2SE packages ? Ulf Meinhardt Java 0 08-10-2006 07:12 PM
PAgP - silent and non-silent modes andymacca Cisco 1 03-26-2006 06:28 PM
jEdit: compiles JDK 1.5.0 ok, but runs JDK 1.4.1 (why?) Thomas G. Marshall Java 5 08-06-2004 04:12 AM
Silent install for JDK Danny Java 0 06-22-2004 03:29 PM
Help with converting IDS from JDK 1.1 to JDK 1.4 Babar Java 1 05-20-2004 09:11 PM

Advertisments