Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Newbie ... can't find Java.util.logging.LogManager addGlobalHandler

Newbie ... can't find Java.util.logging.LogManager addGlobalHandler

Colin Foulkes

Hi I'm really new to Java, and while trying to follow some sample code
using LogManager etc I've come across a problem.

My version of LogManager doesn't seem to have all the methods shown in
the online documentation (for example addGlobalHandler).

I'm using netbeans ide and my java_home is pointing to jsdk1.4.2.

I feel I'm missing something blindingly obvious....

If you have any suggestions, please fire away..

Thanks,
Colin

nos

"Colin Foulkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm really new to Java, and while trying to follow some sample code
> using LogManager etc I've come across a problem.
>
> My version of LogManager doesn't seem to have all the methods shown in
> the online documentation (for example addGlobalHandler).
>
> I'm using netbeans ide and my java_home is pointing to jsdk1.4.2.
>
> I feel I'm missing something blindingly obvious....
>

> If you have any suggestions, please fire away..
>
> Thanks,
> Colin

I use this:
static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("global");
ch = new ConsoleHandler();
logger.addHandler(ch);

Colin Foulkes

"nos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<kMVRb.177197$na.286842@attbi_s04>...
> "Colin Foulkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi I'm really new to Java, and while trying to follow some sample code
> > using LogManager etc I've come across a problem.
> >
> > My version of LogManager doesn't seem to have all the methods shown in
> > the online documentation (for example addGlobalHandler).
> >
> > I'm using netbeans ide and my java_home is pointing to jsdk1.4.2.
> >
> > I feel I'm missing something blindingly obvious....
> >

> > If you have any suggestions, please fire away..
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Colin

> I use this:
> static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("global");
> ch = new ConsoleHandler();
> logger.addHandler(ch);

Thanks for your response, but I'm not really looking for an
alternative.
I'm more curious as to why the version of my LogManager class doesn't
contain the methods shown in various tutorials.

Do I have an old version, and if so, how can I tell?

Thanks again

Colin