Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > SOAP applicable in this scenario ?

SOAP applicable in this scenario ?

Tristan

Hi,

first the case:
I want to implement a distributed application (client/server
architecture).
The server collects UDP packets from somewhere else. The client or
clients must somehow get these packets from the server in real time. I
mean if there are UDP packets coming to the server, the server should
immediately forward these packets to each client. It would be a great
thing if the clients could be behind a firewall, so that no network
settings are needed (e.g. open certain ports). So my idea was to use
SOAP as communication protocol.
The problem is that I have to do permanently SOAP RPCs to ask the
server if there are new packets. I think that's not so good,
especially if there are many clients, I get performance problems. Is
there a solution to solve the problem of real time passing of
information with SOAP ?

Thank you.

Bye, Tristan.

Hugo Pragt

Hi, here's my two pence:

1) SOAP is an expensive protocol, I don't know how many UDP packets per
second you are planning to process, but maybe you want something less
expensive (=CPU consuming)..

2) When all your clients run a SOAP server, you can push the SOAP envelopes
to them, instead of them polling the server. This is almost anythime a
better scaleable solution.

3) If you have A LOT of clients you can make some or all of them subhosts,
creating your own DNS like network for forwarding information.

"Tristan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> first the case:
> I want to implement a distributed application (client/server
> architecture).
> The server collects UDP packets from somewhere else. The client or
> clients must somehow get these packets from the server in real time. I
> mean if there are UDP packets coming to the server, the server should
> immediately forward these packets to each client. It would be a great
> thing if the clients could be behind a firewall, so that no network
> settings are needed (e.g. open certain ports). So my idea was to use
> SOAP as communication protocol.
> The problem is that I have to do permanently SOAP RPCs to ask the
> server if there are new packets. I think that's not so good,
> especially if there are many clients, I get performance problems. Is
> there a solution to solve the problem of real time passing of
> information with SOAP ?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bye, Tristan.

Why friendship not applicable to function arguments Ninan C++ 4 06-29-2006 09:47 PM
Anyone who posts for Help in Here needs Intellix - Anyone providing Help Applicable Also Ditto21 Computer Support 8 02-18-2006 04:27 AM
When is enum type applicable? - Java 2 07-24-2005 09:14 AM
Is MVC architecture applicable for web environment?? ketulp_baroda@yahoo.com Python 3 02-27-2004 04:47 PM
Is FindBy<Key> Method applicable to design time dataset Keith ASP .Net 1 02-08-2004 06:15 AM

Advertisments