Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Differnce between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean

Differnce between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean

Markku Salminen

> I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
> appriciate.
>
> 1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean(EJB),
> if so, what is/are those?

They are totally different. Bean is just a class with private
attributes handled with get and set methods. EJB's are
server components.

> 2. As a programmer point of view, is there any difference between tomcat and
> WebSphere or JBoss?

It depends what are you doing? If you want to learn how to develope
the enterprise applications then JBoss is good choise. WebSphere is
commercial product.

--
Markku

Zee

Hi All

I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
appriciate.

1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java Bean(EJB),
if so, what is/are those?
2. As a programmer point of view, is there any difference between tomcat and
WebSphere or JBoss?

Thanks in advance

zee

Tom Cole

"Markku Salminen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsEgPb.2935$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
> > appriciate.
> >
> > 1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java

Bean(EJB),
> > if so, what is/are those?

> They are totally different. Bean is just a class with private
> attributes handled with get and set methods. EJB's are
> server components.

No correlation at all. Enterprise Java Bean was probably not the best name
for those, seeing the JavaBean came first...

> > 2. As a programmer point of view, is there any difference between tomcat

and
> > WebSphere or JBoss?

> It depends what are you doing? If you want to learn how to develope
> the enterprise applications then JBoss is good choise. WebSphere is
> commercial product.

Tomcat is a Servlet container. It serves Servlets and JSP content. It does
not server EJBs.

JBoss is an application server, it serves EJBs. It does not serve Servlets
or JSPs. (At least I don't believe it does. Never tried it. They provide a
pre-wired version with Tomcat or Jetty as the servlet container).

The typical web application environment would utilize both Tomcat (or Jetty
or other Servlet container) and JBoss (or JoNaS, or Enhydra or other
application server) as well as an http server like Apache or IIS, each piece
doing it's thing: Apache/IIS --> static content; Tomcat --> Servlets & JSP;
JBoss --> EJBs.

> --
> Markku

Michael Borgwardt

Markku Salminen wrote:

>> I am a new user of Java. Please ans the followings. I would really
>> appriciate.
>>
>> 1. Is there any difference between Java Bean and Enterprise Java
>> Bean(EJB),
>> if so, what is/are those?

> They are totally different. Bean is just a class with private
> attributes handled with get and set methods.

I think the specification also requires a public no-args constructor and
that the class should be serializable.