Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > MS JVM and Sun JVM problem

MS JVM and Sun JVM problem

Young-Jin Lee

Hi, I have a question about the MS JVM and Sun JVM.
I have a Java applet written in JVM 1.0.2. It works fine with the MS
JVM (with IE), but it has many update problem with the Sun JVM.

First of all, if I compile the source code that only uses JVM 1.0.2
code with the latest Sun's JVM, the generated class file can be run
with the MS JVM?

Is there a way to generate Java classes files that can be run both the
MS JVM and Sun JVM?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Thompson

"Young-Jin Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| Hi, I have a question about the MS JVM and Sun JVM.
| Is there a way to generate Java classes files that can be run
both the
| MS JVM and Sun JVM?

I do not know. If you use MS 'cab'(?)
format it may not. Otherwise it should be
OK if you compile your _current_ code
using the -target 1.1 flag when compiling..

But you _could_ start your code in the
far superior Sun JVM, but have the
JavaVersionApplet in the background
to redirect to the older version in the
event that the Sun JVM is not installed.
http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson

Mickey Segal

Is the update problem similar to: http://segal.org/java/ReDisplay/ or
http://segal.org/java/tooltip2/?

> First of all, if I compile the source code that only uses JVM 1.0.2
> code with the latest Sun's JVM, the generated class file can be run
> with the MS JVM?
>
> Is there a way to generate Java classes files that can be run both the
> MS JVM and Sun JVM?

Pure Java 1.0.2 should run on both the Sun and Microsoft JVMs, with possible
exception of some deprecated classes. However, using a Java 2 environment
one would need to set some flag to generate Java 1.0 compatible code. Using
Java 1.0 or 1.1 programming tools this would be automatic.

Most people have given up on Java 1.0. Those who wish to continue to
support the Microsoft JVM tend to choose 1.1.4 as their lowest common
denominator.

Mickey Segal