Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Server configuration..

Server configuration..

Andrew Thompson

Ugggh! This is doing my head in!

I am currently working on three sites
and want to have separate directories
on my local machine with separate
URL's for each.. like..

http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/

I _still_ cannot figure how to set up my
server.xml to achieve that. It is here..
http://www.physci.org/test/serv/server.xml

I have read every thread that mentioned
server configuration, but could never seem
to make the advice work for my situation.
[ I always get '404' ]

Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?

[ The 'cream on the cake' would be to have
them all use the same WEB-INF directory,
but that is a minor point.. ]

--
Andrew Thompson

Oscar Kind

Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am currently working on three sites
> and want to have separate directories
> on my local machine with separate
> URL's for each.. like..
>
> http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
> http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
> http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/

Have you read how to define virtual hosts?
Just create several Host tags in the Engige tag within the Service tag
within the Server tag.

[...]
> I have read every thread that mentioned
> server configuration, but could never seem
> to make the advice work for my situation.

Try the manual before the newsgroups. I find it often helps.

[...]
> [ The 'cream on the cake' would be to have
> them all use the same WEB-INF directory,
> but that is a minor point.. ]

AFAIK, his is not possible. Remember you're deploying several sites
(each with their own applications, even if they happen to be the same).

Oscar

--
No trees were harmed in creating this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Andrew Thompson

"Oscar Kind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400ad4ed$0$135$(E-Mail Removed) l...
| Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > I am currently working on three sites
| > and want to have separate directories
| > on my local machine with separate
| > URL's for each.. like..
| Have you read how to define virtual hosts?
| Just create several Host tags in the Engige tag within the
Service tag
| within the Server tag.

I currently have three Host tags defined within
within the Engine tag. As mentioned in the
..xml file I linked to..
(I mean heck, I dinnae wanna dump 12Kb
of my server.xml on the members of the group
that do not have servers or knowledge/interest)

| [...]
| > I have read every thread that mentioned
| > server configuration, but could never seem
| > to make the advice work for my situation.
|
| Try the manual before the newsgroups. I find it often helps.

I did, it didn't on this occasion (probably due to
lack of understanding on my part).

| > [ The 'cream on the cake' would be to have
| > them all use the same WEB-INF directory,
| > but that is a minor point.. ]
|
| AFAIK, his is not possible. Remember you're deploying several
sites
| (each with their own applications, even if they happen to be
the same).

Fair enough.

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hOzOb.17702$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I am currently working on three sites
| and want to have separate directories
| on my local machine with separate
| URL's for each.. like..
|
| http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
| http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
| http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/
|
| I _still_ cannot figure how to set up my
| server.xml to achieve that. It is here..
| http://www.physci.org/test/serv/server.xml
|
| I have read every thread that mentioned
| server configuration, but could never seem
| to make the advice work for my situation.
| [ I always get '404' ]

...err. well actually that's a
"Cannot find server or DNS Error" error

| Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?
| --
| Andrew Thompson
| * http://www.PhySci.org/ PhySci software suite
| * http://www.1point1C.org/ 1.1C - Superluminal!
| * http://www.AThompson.info/andrew/ personal site

Sudsy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> | I have read every thread that mentioned
> | server configuration, but could never seem
> | to make the advice work for my situation.
> | [ I always get '404' ]
>
> ..err. well actually that's a
> "Cannot find server or DNS Error" error
>
> | Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?

Well that's different! Do you have entries for those hostnames
in your hosts file? Don't know where it's kept on your machine
but it's in C:\Windows on Win98.

Andrew Thompson

"Oscar Kind" <(E-Mail Removed)>

...ahem.

** I apologise Oscar. **

If I had not formulated a dumb question (wrong information)
If I had read the manual _carefully_ &
If I had not become immersed in my irritation at you
suggesting I _should_ read the manual....

I might have wasted less of your (and my) time.

Thank you for your time, attention and response.

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

"Sudsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| ...Do you have entries for those hostnames
| in your hosts file? Don't know where it's kept on your machine
| but it's in C:\Windows on Win98.

It's in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
directory on XP. And thanks, yes, all sorted and
ready to proceed.

--
Andrew Thompson

Sudsy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> It's in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
> directory on XP. And thanks, yes, all sorted and
> ready to proceed.

Okay, so I know this is basic, but have you tried to ping 11c in
a command window?

ak

> I am currently working on three sites
> and want to have separate directories
> on my local machine with separate
> URL's for each.. like..
>
> http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
> http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
> http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/

hosts:
127.0.0.1 multipure phpmyadmin imagero

httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/pure"
ServerName multipure
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin (E-Mail Removed)
DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/phpMyAdmin"
ServerName phpmyadmin
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin (E-Mail Removed)
DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/imagero"
ServerName imagero
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
ServerAdmin (E-Mail Removed)
DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
ServerName localhost
</VirtualHost>

about server.xml I know not much...

____________

http://reader.imagero.com the best java image reader.

Andrew Thompson

"Sudsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Andrew Thompson wrote:
| > It's in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
| > directory on XP. And thanks, yes, all sorted and
| > ready to proceed.
|
| Okay, so I know this is basic, but have you tried to ping 11c
in
| a command window?

No. I tried bringing it up in a browser and it
succeeded.

After your post I tried pinging 11c ..specifically

> ping 11c

Request timed out. (x 4)

So then I tried
> ping localhost