Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > J2ME, MDIP 2.0 and NetBeans

J2ME, MDIP 2.0 and NetBeans

Kris Garrein

Hello, this is my first post, so be gentle please

I got interested in taking up java development again (Now I'm C++ coder)
when purchasing a new mobile phone (Siemens MC60).

I downloaded the following:
- Sun J2ME
- Sun Wireless Toolkit WTK2.1
- NetBeans

As I found in the docs those should be enough to get started with MDIP 2.0
game programming ?

But I have some trouble setting up NetBeans for MDIP 2 :'(
MDIP 1 seems to be working fine, I have the javax.microedition stuff, no
problem,
but when trying to use the javax.microedition.lcdui.game import I get
compiler errors...

Seems to me that MDIP 2 is not correctly 'linked' in the NetBeans comiler
???

Can anybody help me to set up netbeans for MDIP 2 ?

Thank you very much.
Kris G. (Belgium)

Jon A. Cruz

Kris Garrein wrote:

> But I have some trouble setting up NetBeans for MDIP 2 :'(
> MDIP 1 seems to be working fine, I have the javax.microedition stuff, no
> problem,
> but when trying to use the javax.microedition.lcdui.game import I get
> compiler errors...
>
> Seems to me that MDIP 2 is not correctly 'linked' in the NetBeans comiler
> ???
>
> Can anybody help me to set up netbeans for MDIP 2 ?

Well, in general I prefer Eclipse as an IDE (well, Emacs + JDEE for
myself, but that may not be best for begininers).

Since you're probably not going to be doing a lot of actual 'Java Beans'
for J2ME, you can go ahead and try Ecplise

http://www.eclipse.org/

Then I did a quick google search and found this as the first hit

http://weblog.cemper.com/a/200308/07...csson-p800.php

Jon A. Cruz

Jon A. Cruz wrote:

> Since you're probably not going to be doing a lot of actual 'Java Beans'
> for J2ME, you can go ahead and try Ecplise
>

> http://www.eclipse.org/
>
> Then I did a quick google search and found this as the first hit
>
> http://weblog.cemper.com/a/200308/07...csson-p800.php

Also, I just noticed this
A tutorial on "J2ME and Eclipse" at the Eclipse conference here in just
a few weeks:
http://www.eclipsecon.org/program-d.htm#Meekeren

That lets me know that a lot of people are doing it, and a lot of people
are interested in it.

Kris Garrein

Thank you.

However, I would really like to use NetBeans because it is the IDE I'm most
familiar with (it's the one we used in university). Maybe someone else here
can help me ?

Thanks.
Kris.

"Jon A. Cruz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kris Garrein wrote:
> >
> > But I have some trouble setting up NetBeans for MDIP 2 :'(
> > MDIP 1 seems to be working fine, I have the javax.microedition stuff, no
> > problem,
> > but when trying to use the javax.microedition.lcdui.game import I get
> > compiler errors...
> >
> > Seems to me that MDIP 2 is not correctly 'linked' in the NetBeans

comiler
> > ???
> >
> > Can anybody help me to set up netbeans for MDIP 2 ?

> Well, in general I prefer Eclipse as an IDE (well, Emacs + JDEE for
> myself, but that may not be best for begininers).
>
> Since you're probably not going to be doing a lot of actual 'Java Beans'
> for J2ME, you can go ahead and try Ecplise
>

> http://www.eclipse.org/
>
> Then I did a quick google search and found this as the first hit

http://weblog.cemper.com/a/200308/07...csson-p800.php

Kris Garrein

No worries... I found my answer hidden away on some forum

Just needed to mount the MDIPAPI20.jar to the filesystem.
Works like a charm

Greetings.
K.

"Kris Garrein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j5WNb.15084$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> Hello, this is my first post, so be gentle please
>
> I got interested in taking up java development again (Now I'm C++ coder)
> when purchasing a new mobile phone (Siemens MC60).
>
> I downloaded the following:
> - Sun J2ME
> - Sun Wireless Toolkit WTK2.1
> - NetBeans
>
> As I found in the docs those should be enough to get started with MDIP 2.0
> game programming ?
>
> But I have some trouble setting up NetBeans for MDIP 2 :'(
> MDIP 1 seems to be working fine, I have the javax.microedition stuff, no
> problem,
> but when trying to use the javax.microedition.lcdui.game import I get
> compiler errors...
>
> Seems to me that MDIP 2 is not correctly 'linked' in the NetBeans comiler
> ???
>
> Can anybody help me to set up netbeans for MDIP 2 ?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Kris G. (Belgium)

Darryl L. Pierce

Kris Garrein wrote:
<snip>

Drop NetBeans and use something simpler. Your environment is way to complex
for someone just starting out. The Wireless Toolkit will work as your
compiling environment, so just use a simple editor for writing your code. I
suggest Xemacs/JDE/BSH or something similar.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Kris Garrein

I'm not sure but Xemacs sounds very much like Linux
I use Windows

And again... I'm not just starting out.
I actually had 2 years of java in university.
But since I decided to go the C++ way, I haven't coded java for 2 or 3
years.
But it's all coming back to me quickly

K.

"Darryl L. Pierce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Kris Garrein wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Drop NetBeans and use something simpler. Your environment is way to

complex
> for someone just starting out. The Wireless Toolkit will work as your
> compiling environment, so just use a simple editor for writing your code.

> suggest Xemacs/JDE/BSH or something similar.
>
> --
> Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

Darryl L. Pierce

Kris Garrein wrote:

> I'm not sure but Xemacs sounds very much like Linux
> I use Windows

I use Xemacs/JDE/BSH on Windows XP to do my work. Xemacs is available for
Windows from xemacs.org.

> And again... I'm not just starting out.
> I actually had 2 years of java in university.

But you're starting over. You have a knowledge of the language, but have
little experience in using it in a production environment. Your best bet is
to start simple and increment as you go.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

jamesg

Kris

This too is my first message so I wonder if you can help me. Similarly I program in c++ but am trying some java on a phone. I've downloaded the J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.1 Production Release (already have netbeans). Do I also need the J2ME(or is that included in the toolkit above?)

I can't seem to get netbeans to recognise javax.microedition.lcdui could you please elaborate on the solution you found.

Many thanks in advance

James G

Darryl L. Pierce,,,

jamesg wrote:

> This too is my first message so I wonder if you can help me. Similarly I
> program in c++ but am trying some java on a phone. I've downloaded the
> J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.1 Production Release (already have netbeans). Do
> I also need the J2ME(or is that included in the toolkit above?)

First off, J2ME is an umbrella term that references to all Java technology
on handheld, wireless and embedded devices. It's not a separate entity in
and of itself, but is a reference to different technologies.

Now, you need to determine *which* specification you're going to code
against. You say "java on a phone". Which phone? There are a number of
phones available that support the MIDP; most of them are MIDP 1.0 and only
a handful (like my Motorola V400) are MIDP 2.0. The platform you're
targeting will determine what APIs you will have available at runtime.