Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Deflater.setDictionary

Deflater.setDictionary

Dr. Carsten Leue

I would like to initialize the java.util.zip.Deflater object with a
precalculated dictionary. The documentation is very sparse, it just tells to
pass in a byte array, but nothing about the content of this array. When I
use an arbitrary array I get an IllegalArgumentException. The documentation
says that this is due to an invalid dictionary format. But what is the
correct format?

Best regards
Carsten

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Chris Uppal

Dr. Carsten Leue wrote:

> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

*** NO! I WILL NOT! ***

> I would like to initialize the java.util.zip.Deflater object with a
> precalculated dictionary. The documentation is very sparse, it just tells
> to pass in a byte array, but nothing about the content of this array.

You may find the documentation for the underlying ZLib implementation more
helpful -- or maybe not since it's still not ideally detailed. It's better
than the JavaDoc for the Java wrapper classes, anyway.

http://www.gzip.org/zlib/manual.html...eSetDictionary

HTH (at least a little).

-- chris