Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Green threads in Java

Green threads in Java

Naresh Agarwal

Hi

I read from some where that Java supports two threading models -
native and green threads.

What are the differences between two and are these supported on all
platforms?

thanks,
Naresh

Igor L

in green threads model only one operating system thread is used by java
virtual machine for all java threads you use in your programs. in native
threads model, for every thread you create in java you get one separate
operating system thread.

as i know, on windows nt, only native threads exist while on solaris
platform, exist both models. on older JVM on solaris only green threads
model existed.

"Naresh Agarwal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi
>
> I read from some where that Java supports two threading models -
> native and green threads.
>
> What are the differences between two and are these supported on all
> platforms?
>
> thanks,
> Naresh

Andrew Thompson

"Naresh Agarwal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
| Hi
|
| I read from some where that Java supports two threading
models -
| native and green threads.

Native are when you leave them out in the field,
whereas green are generally grown under lights.
A short 'Google' later.

OK - it looks like something related to early
VM's on Solaris machines. Since the references
I saw related to 1999, I would have to guess
all the information on it is just about redundant.

Get yourself a newer book?

--
Andrew Thompson