Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

vnssoftware

Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

Steve W. Jackson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (vnssoftware) wrote:

>:Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

Why would it NOT compile read-only files? After all, it's only going to
read them, and write class files as a result.
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

vnssoftware

"Steve W. Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (vnssoftware) wrote:
>
> >:Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

> Why would it NOT compile read-only files? After all, it's only going to
> read them, and write class files as a result.

Well...I am saying that Ant should not compile files that have write
access.
It should only compile files that has read only access. Sorry if I was
not clear the first time.

Dave Glasser

(E-Mail Removed) (vnssoftware) wrote on 30 Dec 2003 18:48:52
-0800 in comp.lang.java.programmer:

>"Steve W. Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (vnssoftware) wrote:
>>
>> >:Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

>> Why would it NOT compile read-only files? After all, it's only going to
>> read them, and write class files as a result.

>Well...I am saying that Ant should not compile files that have write
>access.
>It should only compile files that has read only access. Sorry if I was
>not clear the first time.

As of version 1.4.1 of ant (which is what I use), you can't do that. I
doubt if later versions can either. But if you study and understand
the source code for org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac, and create
your own custom task by subclassing it and overriding the scanDir()
method, it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish what you're trying to.

--
Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
front end for relational databases.

http://qform.sourceforge.net

Dmitry R

"Steve W. Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) (vnssoftware) wrote:
>
> >:Can Ant be made to compile only read only java files?

> Why would it NOT compile read-only files? After all, it's only going to
> read them, and write class files as a result.

Ant is available in sources, so it's very easy to add this functionality.

---
http://mediachest.sourceforge.net Explore your iPod