Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > tomcat, linux and newbie

tomcat, linux and newbie

JAVA Rookie

Hi all:
I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw tomcat
welcome page.
I did same thing in windows XP and it works.
So, is there anything I need to modified in Linux?

Thanks in advance.

Herman Timmermans

JAVA Rookie wrote:

> Hi all:
> I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
> stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
> then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw
> tomcat welcome page.
> I did same thing in windows XP and it works.
> So, is there anything I need to modified in Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi, this should normally work. Please make sure that you didn't start
Apache as well. Check akso the log files for Tomcat, and look for any
errors. Try also to connect to http://localhost:8080, maybe your config
change wasn't correct? Could you connect to Apache before on port 80?
Please provide any additional info that could help us to solve your problem.
Brgds,
Herman
--
Suse Linux Professional 8.1 on Athlon 1.1 Ghz 512 Mb
Anti Spam = remove the "dot" and the "at"

Ashton

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
JAVA Rookie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
> stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
> then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw tomcat
> welcome page.

Were you starting Tomcat as root? If not, it may have failed to
allocate the low-numbered port.

(What *did* you see? Does 'netstat -l' show anything listening on port
80?)

Sudsy

JAVA Rookie wrote:
> Hi all:
> I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
> stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
> then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw tomcat
> welcome page.
> I did same thing in windows XP and it works.
> So, is there anything I need to modified in Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It's definitely a matter of starting it as root. Unprivileged users
cannot bind to well known ports. The log error message should have
indicated "could not bind...".