Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > NetBeans: How to mount the Java SDK javadocs (on Mac, if that matters)

NetBeans: How to mount the Java SDK javadocs (on Mac, if that matters)

Leonard Slatkin

I'd like the javadoc descriptions to automatically pop-up with the
code-completion entries (now, it can't find it).

I've tried adding the SDK docs to the JavaDoc Manager using both HTTP
(the Sun API website at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/ ) and
my local copy of the same. No joy - should that work? (I thought so)

I found "Mounting the Java 2 SDK" in the help file. Do I really need to
go through all that? (Un-JAR'ing all the SDK source, repackaging it,
etc.) If so, where do I find the archive file(s) with the SDK source?
(I have no idea where Apple installed it to).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ray Tayek

Leonard Slatkin wrote:
> I'd like the javadoc descriptions to automatically pop-up with the
> code-completion entries (now, it can't find it).

my nb 3.5.1 seems to do this more or less automatically (on windoze 98
and xp)

> I've tried adding the SDK docs to the JavaDoc Manager using both HTTP
> (the Sun API website at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/ ) and
> my local copy of the same. No joy - should that work? (I thought so)

sorry, don't know what the manager is.

> I found "Mounting the Java 2 SDK" in the help file. Do I really need to
> go through all that? (Un-JAR'ing all the SDK source, repackaging it,
> etc.) If so, where do I find the archive file(s) with the SDK source?
> (I have no idea where Apple installed it to).

you should not need the source. i would think that netbeans would find
the docs if you put it in the java home directory at the same level as
bin (it should unzip, er ungnutar into docs/) - but i am not a mac person.

you should get the code completion in netbeans without the javadocs, i
don't have some of them and it just says no javadoc, but shows it if it
can find it.

you might try the netbeans mailing list.

hth
---
ray tayek http://tayek.com/ actively seeking mentoring or telecommuting work
vice chair orange county java users group http://www.ocjug.org/