Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > DNS query

DNS query

srdjan

How to query (lookup) a DNS server using Java? When I say 'query' I mean
'name resolving'. I'm interested only in solutions that do not use the
"IP*works" set of components. Also, how can I find out (thru code) what is
the default DNS server for my computer, and at which port can I query him
(it is not always 53 as far as I know)?

Thanks.

srdjan

Michael Borgwardt

srdjan wrote:
> How to query (lookup) a DNS server using Java? When I say 'query' I mean
> 'name resolving'.

java.net.InetAddress.getByName()

> I'm interested only in solutions that do not use the
> "IP*works" set of components. Also, how can I find out (thru code) what is
> the default DNS server for my computer, and at which port can I query him
> (it is not always 53 as far as I know)?

I don't think that can be done in pure Java.

Ronny Schuetz

You may want to take a look to http://www.dnsjava.org/